Zoukei-mura P-51D/K Mustang IV - marking schemes

Wurzacher

The Mk IV RAF Mustang is perfect for the Xtradecal RAF sheet I've got gathering dust at home .. Hmmm! A Peterhead based Mustang , nice , now all I need is a nice new 32nd Mosquito , and I can get to work on a Banff Strike Wing!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jimmydel

These are beautiful. It sure does look like this kit builds up nicely and I'd love to do Lou IV at some point. I'd really love some input from someone who has COMPLETED builds of both the ZM kit and the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya kit is a work of art and I'd be hard pressed to pick the ZM if I were buying another.

These are beautiful. It sure does look like this kit builds up nicely and I'd love to do Lou IV at some point. I'd really love some input from someone who has COMPLETED builds of both the ZM kit and the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya kit is a work of art and I'd be hard pressed to pick the ZM if I were buying another.

ZM has more detailed and precise engine, Tamiya has similar to Spitfire, which lacks some special details. Moreover, in Tamiya you don't have choice between several versions. IMO.

Today I am starting to assemble this kit so we'll see if it's good and easy to assemble. :)

Ripaman (Richard) is building both simultaneously. Looking his builds over at his place we both came to the conclusion that Tamiya's molding and plastic is definitely superior and overall a nicer kit with better fit and much crisper detail and molding, it's very noticeable side by side. The ZM version is soft in mold detail with round edges to parts that really should have crisp sharp edges. The is a ton of clean up sanding, scraping etc required to true parts up. Not to knock them but the kit parts are almost "toyish" in comparison if that makes any sense.

I've built two of the Tamiya ones now and having had a good look at Richard's ZM version side by side, if I ever do another Mustang it will be a Tamiya one again.

Cheers

Ron

Tamiya you don't have choice between several versions.

Tamiya does do "special versions".  They have released the P-51D, the P-51K and the F-6D, the K release includes all the parts necessary to do any of the aforementioned versions AFAIK.  Not only do they have different versions but you can make different block aircraft from the Tamiya kit(s).  The ZM release lends itself to only one block aircraft.  Granted, to do any one block number aircraft from the Tamiya kit, you must do a little work for yourself but Tamiya takes you 3/4 of the way so doing so is just a matter of identifying what you need to do and making some very minor changes to the kit parts in order to accomplish the change.

Speaking of changes, I remember seeing that the RAF aircraft had louvered panels on the lower forward aux air intake (?) where U.S. aircraft had holes/blanking plates.  I cannot tell whether this ZM kit has them or not.  It looks like it does but can anyone say definitively? 

Tamiya does do "special versions".  They have released the P-51D, the P-51K and the F-6D, the K release includes all the parts necessary to do any of the aforementioned versions AFAIK.  Not only do they have different versions but you can make different block aircraft from the Tamiya kit(s).  The ZM release lends itself to only one block aircraft.  Granted, to do any one block number aircraft from the Tamiya kit, you must do a little work for yourself but Tamiya takes you 3/4 of the way so doing so is just a matter of identifying what you need to do and making some very minor changes to the kit parts in order to accomplish the change.

Speaking of changes, I remember seeing that the RAF aircraft had louvered panels on the lower forward aux air intake (?) where U.S. aircraft had holes/blanking plates.  I cannot tell whether this ZM kit has them or not.  It looks like it does but can anyone say definitively? 

Yes, it does have several options, you can see them on the photos.

I've compared Tamiya and ZM engines, and it's really obvious that ZM is much better in details. I think that they've also improved molding quality in this new kit, so it should be better.

Guest jimmydel

Well the ZM looks nice to my eye from what I've seen online. I've built the Tamiya kit and it's was so pleasant a build that it seems it'd be hard to convince myself to go another route were I to build another. I'm not much on internals and engines etc because it just doesn't fit my style to display them all opened up, so I don't think the engine difference is enough from me. I'm not trying to be fanboy-ish. Just think maybe the Tamiya kit is more up my ally. I really do love shake n bake.

It has louvers  on the lower side intakes http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/photogallery/pg_sws09.html Hard to see in the photos on the link though.

Thanks for that confirmation.  I was having a tough time seeing them in the photos but they're there.

Yes, it does have several options, you can see them on the photos.

From the link you've posted, it does look like ZM has offered some more options than in their previous release but there's still only one instrument panel that I can see.  Yes, the engine is more detailed than the Tamiya offering but the options provided in the ZM kit are still inadequate compared to those in the Tamiya kit.  Without the additional IP and subpanels, a few of the options that ZM provides cannot be accurately done without replacing the IP and subpanel.  I see that ZM has also provided the  two different types of IP shroud which is a good touch but still lacks in comparison with what Tamiya offers.  No, you cannot build an accurate RAF Mustang IV from what you get in the Tamiya kit as it does not come with the louvered intake panels.  Not having studied the Mustang IV, I'm not so sure that one can accurately be built from what you get in the ZM box either.  I'd have to put in some time and effort to discover which block(s) P-51D/K aircraft were sent to the RAF and what changes were made to them.   However, it is a reasonable assumption to think that at some point, Tamiya will add that option and release an RAF Mustang IV by itself or in combination with some other versions like a Korean war aircraft.

Edited by Juggernut

A bird in the hand..

I have lots of ZM stuff but not the Mustang.

That is going to change with this release. Having seen the plastic first hand i have been tempted but held off till now.

I really dont see the need to have an attitude that one is superior so therefor you should only buy that one by definition.

Both kits have a lot to offer gladly not the same way so you are a winner either way.

Love the RAAF scheme..