HK B-17 Accuracy issues?

Guest Nigelr32

Rog:

The stuff may be hard to see but there's two things that make us do it right... One, we know it's in there and two; those pesky IPMS judges will undoubtedly shine their flashlight (torches to you guys of the UK, Emerald Isle area) and it had better be in there and be painted.

There's one more tidbit: Since this fortress has staggered waist windows, the right side window will show much more of the ball turret area than would otherwise be seen with unstaggered waist windows.

... Ahhhh Tim ... I WAS forgetting about competition!!! sorry :oops: . For us humble types who build purely for enjoyment - and having a decorative piece on display at home, it could go either way!

"Torches" works for us in Australia too! ;) ... having said that - it IS an accuracy issue - but one that can be fixed without anywhere near as much drama as the nose area.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Ooops, Forgot about you fellers down under...Apologies! I'm looking in to what kind of ball turret was installed in the B-17G. The Illustrated Parts Catalog calls out two, the Sperry A2 and the Sperry A2A. What the differences are I do not know but I'm gonna find out. I do know that at least one style of ball turret on the 17 did not have external ammo cans but I cannot say whether that holds true for either the A2 or the A2A. I have a sneaking suspicion that lacking any photographic proof, the ball turrets with the external ammo containers were used on B-24's but again, I have no data or photographs to support or refute my suspicion.

EDIT: Sent a request for a Technical Manual to the National Air and Space Museum regarding the Sperry Ball turret used on the 17 and 24.

Edited by TimC

I'm glad to see the 'issues' in this kit are miniscule enough to be pretty much easily fixable , if not dismiss-able.

... well ... easily dismissable by someone like me ... anyone who looks at my finished work is not really liable to tell an 'F' from a 'G' anyway ...

But for someone like Tim, who enters into competitions, no so much! The inside issues probably won't phase him ... but for something so obvious as the nose/canopy/cockpit (and he IS technically correct about the shape), I doubt this would be classed as minor in a comp setting - neither is it easily fixable, I'd say!

At any rate ... I'm not going to bother trying ... as long as I can get hold of some good, sturdy AM landing gear and some brass barrels - it's all good in my world!

... well ... easily dismissable by someone like me ... anyone who looks at my finished work is not really liable to tell an 'F' from a 'G' anyway ...

But for someone like Tim, who enters into competitions, no so much! The inside issues probably won't phase him ... but for something so obvious as the nose/canopy/cockpit (and he IS technically correct about the shape), I doubt this would be classed as minor in a comp setting - neither is it easily fixable, I'd say!

At any rate ... I'm not going to bother trying ... as long as I can get hold of some good, sturdy AM landing gear and some brass barrels - it's all good in my world!

Accuracy issues have no bearing in model competitions , they are about modelling not accuracy.

Why would you need "sturdy" aftermarket landing gear? I've been building, buying, and looking at models for nigh on 45 years, and I can probably count on the fingers of one hand with a couple left over the number of models standing on styrene gear legs that collapsed from the weight of the model itself. The gear legs in the HK kit are nothing if not beefy.

How about resin lg? I have the Verlinden set for my 1/48 B-17 and I was worried about them after the p/e and scratch building was installed.

Mines quite a way along now , and yes you can see the ball turret mount through the stb window. They also dont tell you to fit any seats in the radio compartment , but they are on the sprues. Other than that its been a nice build. Im not sure how accurate the chin turret is. It does not have the little square windows in the back , instead it has slots.

Guest Nigelr32

Mines quite a way along now , and yes you can see the ball turret mount through the stb window. They also dont tell you to fit any seats in the radio compartment , but they are on the sprues. Other than that its been a nice build. Im not sure how accurate the chin turret is. It does not have the little square windows in the back , instead it has slots.

PICTURES PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!