I am in with my SBD 1/2 with Eduard Big Ed detail set!

49bull

Rocky,

I think I am going to go with the Marine Air Group scheme as it is a bit different with the yellow wings and light gray for the rest of the plane. I like the fact there is color in that particular layout. I'll be posting more pictures today.

Bob

Bob,

We have been through a hurricane and I haven't had any lighting. What's your excuse? :o

Rocky

Bob,

We have been through a hurricane and I haven't had any lighting. What's your excuse? :lol:

Rocky

Rocky,

I thought you had been quiet. Hope you made it through the hurricane with no damage and minimal disruption. I never tried building by candle light that's for sure. I have most of the sidewall details completed with the PE which is a bit tricky but it looks good and the gunners "tub" except for the seat belts is complete. Just need to get some batteries for the camera and I'll shoot a few more photos in the next couple of days and post them.

Bob

As promised here are some photos of the pilot's seat and bulkhead with the Eduard PE in place. The seat belts are from the kit but I modified them a bit to replicate cloth which the smooth PE does not do. I used cloth tape which replicates the real thing quite nicely and placed it on the PE that would be cloth in the real plane. I then painted in khaki and as you can see it does do a nice job of giving the appearance of a seat belt. I also dry brushed a bit of silver paint to give it that used look.

Bob

post-391-1221602597.jpg

post-391-1221602615.jpg

Here is the gunner's tub which still needs a bit of work as the seat belts needt to be added and the web belt that id the back of the seat. Also needs a bit of silver touch up for that worn look. Notice in the side view the small wire that was attached as part of the detailing. The ring with holes in around the front of the tub is also PE as are the redish brown sides.

Bob

post-391-1221603000.jpg post-391-1221603020.jpg

This is the last photo for today and it will probably be the weekend or Monday before I have some new ones to post. I'll continue to finish the bits and pieces for the cockpit such as the rear gun, front guns, and probably start on the engine which I have the Eduard PE for as well. I may go blind by the time I am done working with this but can you imagine trying this in 1/72 scale??

Bob

post-391-1221603773.jpg

Looks good Bob. I like those belts, wish I had done something like that. A little thing I noticed in dry fitting of the cockpit was that the bulkhead for the pilots seat sat a little too far forward and I had to bend it back to clear that panel with the wheel on the port side behind the throttle. It drove me a little nuts until I just pushed the bulkhead back.

Looking forward to more pics. If I don't go blind first.

Matt

Looks good Bob. I like those belts, wish I had done something like that. A little thing I noticed in dry fitting of the cockpit was that the bulkhead for the pilots seat sat a little too far forward and I had to bend it back to clear that panel with the wheel on the port side behind the throttle. It drove me a little nuts until I just pushed the bulkhead back.

Looking forward to more pics. If I don't go blind first.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for the heads up on the bulkhead. I did dry fit it and noticed that it was a tight fit and needed a bit of coaxing to get it right. Thankfully, there is enough flex in the part to make it fit. Just goes to show that even with all the engineering that goes into these kits, there are some things that don't fit perfectly and require those modelling skills.

Bob

Bob,

Excellent work my friend.From what I've seen here this will be one Outstanding build.I'll be following this thread with the greatest interest.Keep us posted to your progress.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

• 2 weeks later...

Okay! It took me alittle longer than expected to get these next bits done in between starting to build a walkway from our basement door to the front (40 yards...lots of digging and digging and....) but here are the next few pictures from my build. I have completed the rear gunners seat/tub and the rear gun as well which has a fair amount of PE on it. I left off the armour shields based on the information and photos from The SBD in Detail and Scale which note that these were removed for weight considerations. The photos in the book support this as well. I am also including photos of the instructions to help you get a better feel for what is involved in using the Eduard PE on just these two items. The gun is painted gum metal with the ammo box and other attachments chromate green. The muzzle cover is silver. The fixed guns are also pictured though not much to them. I drilled out the barrels but cannot get a shot of that detail.

Next up is more work on the cockpit: making and installing oxygen hoses, some wiring, and painting some items that are not chromate green based on my reference material. Hope to have some more photos by Sunday but I will be at a hobby show all day Saturday.

Bob

First up: the rear gunner's seat/tub

post-391-1222798049.jpg post-391-1222798064.jpg