Revell F-4G

kurth

One little update. I will spare you more pictures of painted parts, but all the cockpit parts are now painted. I decided to try something new, to mask the ejections handles as shown in the Tamiya F-4C thread. 

It was a little tricky, but it came out well. not perfect,  but much better than my previous efforts in 1/48th using a brush, or a sharpie. I have pictures of the handles masked, but the tape is so close in color to the yellow color of the handles, you can not see the tape.

IMGP7486-vi.jpg

Kurth,

just as a heads up....the rear cockpit on the Revell kit sits too low.  A simple fix is to separate the two tubs where the rear meets the front, and following the shape of the rear wall, cut off about 1/8th of an inch and do the same at the front of the rear tub.  This will give the rear tub the right depth so the GIB (guy in back) doesn't look like he is sitting in a deep hole.

Also, take a look at my build over on the Vietnam era group build for another way to do the ejection handles.

Bruce

Still moving along. It is a little late to mess with the cockpit per Bruce's suggestion, but I will look into that next time.

I got the cockpit assembled with the exception of the Instrument panels

IMGP7489-vi.jpg

Here are the IPs ... I am trying the method of making lenses with testors clear parts adhesive

IMGP7490-vi.jpg

The cockpit tub and seats will be gloss coated, and given a wash, then a flat coat based on the methods in David W. Augnst's  F-14 article on HS.

I just realized I did the insteument panel lenses too soon .. it should be the last step after flat coating. Oooops.  :oops:

The paint on the seats is still not quite cured, so this will need to sit for another day or two before weathering.   

Some nice work Kurth,

When you get a chance, check out Bruces F-4E  it is REALLY NICE,   he has a way with the Phantom.

His 105 aint' bad either.

Keep her going as I need some inspiration for my F-4  by Revell

Jack

I glued the seats together, and painted the rudder pedals. The black on the seat (frame?) is still ever so tacky... I used tamiya semi gloss black as it was what I had handy. It has been humid here in Virginia (east coast of the US) so maybe that is not helping. 

I did take advantage of bench time with some work on my 1/48th F-16, 1/72 Anigrand C-133 , and a 1/72 rareplanes p-43 vac. I am all over the place .. two huge models and a tiny one on the bench. 

Edited by kurth

Well, y'all seem to be enjoying my updates, so here is tonights progress

I had the foresight to purchase several bottles of crystal cote when it was announced Floquil paints were going away, so I provisioned just enough in the airbrush to clear coat the cockpit and seats

IMGP7492-vi.jpg

and the seats ... painted strap detail really does not cut it in 1/32 ... next time I am going to try something more realistic!

IMGP7493-vi.jpg

I will let this paint dry for a few days and try a wash. I have some burnt umber oil pint, and low odor thinner ... I can not remember when I bought them or what project I had in mind, but they are both sealed so they should be good/fresh

Till next time....

Guest Peterpools

Kurth

Terrific work on the ejection seats and front offcie. Never too small of a job to break out the old air brush.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Cockpit painting is done, the dullcoat has been applied. Again, I mixed just enough, I ran out in the color cup, but there was enough in the airbrush to finish the instrument panels. I hate wasting paint.

It looks a little grungy, but I achieved my goal of having some shadow/depth. lots of new techniques for me, which actually worked well.

IMGP7499-vi.jpg

now for some visible progress

The cockpit is done, and looks good 

IMGP7503-vi.jpg

IMGP7502-vi.jpg

Easily my best cockpit in any scale

and it is installed in the fuselage. I realized after I sat down to write this post the little joystick in the rear cockpit was left out. I will make sure to put it in before closing the fuselage.

IMGP7504-vi.jpg

I also took advantage of my time this morning with the nose gear bay, being careful to ensure everything was lined up and fit together properly

IMGP7505-vi.jpg

IMGP7506-vi.jpg

I will let this set then maybe late tonight, or tomorrow I can get on to the more fun part, closing the forward fuselage.

Edited by kurth