Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

Astounding work as always, Wolf!

By the way, does anyone know if the oxygen bottle on the rear cockpit frame was yellow or silver? Tamiya says silver but I've seen a lot of modellers paint it yellow.

I painted mine yellow. I think there might have been some contrary advice in my build thread, but I can't recall the details.

Kev

Simply amazing!!!!!! 

John

You have a steady hand, Wolf.  That is some nice alignment. work.

Sincerely,

Mark

Amazingly detailed work, fabulous, just fabulous.

Cheers

Dennis

Beautiful work. Your work is always a real pleasure to see.

Thanks gentlemen! Always a pleasure to hear from you guys.

Cheers,

Wolf

Damn Wolf! That is just amazing work and detail - to an already well detailed kit! Which bolts are you using?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

The nut/bolt/washer details I'm using are resin 0.45mm items from a Taurus Models out of Poland. He does fantastic details primarily for WW1 aircraft but the fastener details he does have universal applications. Be prepared to have good magnification when using his stuff though! It's incredibly tiny and very sharp in detail.

Cheers,

Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

Bench time has been at a premium but I still managed to finish the rear cockpit frame and seat assembly. In the Corsair Aircraft Pictorial #8 book by Dana Bell there's a beautiful photo of a restored F4U-1D cockpit. Dana states that some manufacturers of subassemblies, through to the F4U-1D, were still supplying various components in Dark Dull Green so to add some interest to my cockpit I've done the seat in that colour. The photo in the book shows the rudder pedals, the right side console, and the control stick were also Dark Dull Green. I used Model Master Euro Dark Green which is a very good match. The rest of the cockpit appears to be mostly Interior Green. The seat belts are from RB Productions and are, by far, my favourite brand of aftermarket belts. Once assembled they can easily be manipulated in to shape by wetting the paper belt material with a wet brush and gently prodding them in to their final position. I added a fair amount of paint chipping to the seat bottom and back but most of it's hidden by the belts. The oxygen bottle was painted Willow Green, given some chipping and weathering, and the upper fitting painted Brass with a black knob.  Now I can move on to the rest of the cockpit which is my favourite part of the build.

Cheers,

Wolf

Corsair-13_zpsepprhyzc.jpg

Corsair-14_zpsvzf31t6z.jpg

Corsair-15_zpss7wdur7m.jpg

Fantastic looking seat and rear bulkhead Wolf! Nice touch on mixing up the shades of green too. Gives it a bit more character.

Beautiful work Wolff. I am amazed at the detail and quality of painting on the model fingers :whistle:

I don't think there's enough weathering on them. No paint under the finger nails or glue on the tips. Otherwise they're pretty good. :P

Carl