1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Peter;

I'm actually going to have to use an online thesaurus to find some new words to describe your build! She's looking amazing, and your methodical, plan and test several times before commiting paid off again!

It is refreshing to know though, that you are as cack scared of painting as I am! I love the scratch building, and fettling and general assembly, but I hate painting! I have no self confidence in that department. That's why I get hardly anything finished!

Best regards;
Steve

God Almighty!

assuming that your plan is to enter it in a class at the Nats in November, I pity the fools who are up against you. Bear in mind I think you'll have to join the IPMS if you haven't already, and also I think it might be a good idea to discuss with other forum members in detail the exact class you could enter. I deliberate long and hard when I do this and I sometimes feel I should have entered a different class..

Great stuff!

As my dad used to exclaim to an unenlightened ten year old at some dancing or singing woman on the TV. 'Nice legs!"

To me at the time, she just had legs, Fifty plus years later, and seeing your Spitfire's scale model landing gear I kinda see what he was getting at.

And I say that after 30 years and three children with a beautiful woman.

God Almighty!

assuming that your plan is to enter it in a class at the Nats in November, I pity the fools who are up against you. Bear in mind I think you'll have to join the IPMS if you haven't already, and also I think it might be a good idea to discuss with other forum members in detail the exact class you could enter. I deliberate long and hard when I do this and I sometimes feel I should have entered a different class..

There is no class for this...This redefines stand alone.

Geoff

Stunning!

I should have asked before but do you need any masks for the cockades on this? On me  :) I'm sort of guessing that you may already have this sorted but if you want them/need them give me a shout :piliot:

Nice Mal, very generous offer for a Masterful job..... that is what this hobby and this forum is all about.... you impressed me with this.. good on you Mate...

evening everyone :)

thanks for all your kind comments - keeps me very inspired to see that you like the model :)

Peter, this build is second to none. Every update is a master class tutorial on perfection, and the scheme is one of my favorites (I am biased though, grew up in Edmonton, and worked at the Imperial Oil refinery there). It's so awesome to see all your hard work start to come together into one fantastic looking model.

I can't wait to see you bring this one to completion... :popcorn:

thank you very much, it is particularly pleasing to know this one has meaning to you :)

God Almighty!

well Rich, the one thing I find surprising about Telford is the sheer quality of the builds where you think to yourself - wow, I haven't seen that in a build thread, its like this big hidden world of talent so I definately do not think I am going to do well, I think it's about the experience, and reading the US Nats threads I am actually quite scared of being judged as up to now I am my worst critic, I am not sure how I feel about opening that up to judges scrutiny - I hope I can take it!

In terms of classes, I think there is only one I fit into:

Class 18 – Any source converted (ASC) 1/47 or larger

This is a model that is built to a specification or variant other than that intended by the manufacturer

would that be the right one do you think as its a converted FR47 Seafire from HpH? I can see there are a few trophies that also match, like Canadian aircraft, Natural Metal finish etc so we will have to see :)

Stunning!
I should have asked before but do you need any masks for the cockades on this? On me  :) I'm sort of guessing that you may already have this sorted but if you want them/need them give me a shout :piliot:

Thanks Mal - that is an extremely kind offer :) I am just waiting for the artwork to be finished and then Radu has kindly offered to help out and consult on what could be masked and what might need to be decals/rub downs and hopefully help out with the masks so hopefully I am ok for that. Very grateful for your offer though and will be in touch if I need to take you up on it :)

One thing I am not sure about is whether to mask the cheatlines with tape or try and have them made as masks - I am not sure how that works with such long thin masks though they would give much more accurate line spacing than tape I expect?

so, just a bit more done over the weekend, but crushingly it seems there is actually not that much more to do bar the painting so I am pretty confident I will get it done for November - the biggest job outstanding are the elevators..

..to finish up the U/C bays the piping was added from the refs I have it seems pretty simple in there... these were just tube & fittings..

WIP1478_zpsblj39kqv.jpg

..then the panel that goes around the gear leg - this has a blister to accomodate the big pivot mount so I made one template to get the shape right, and a female blister from perspex scrap so I can make the blister in a scrap sheet and get it in the right place by using the template. If I tried to make the blister in the part once cut out, I would have deformed it - as a sheet it retains enough structral integrity to form properly first...

WIP1479_zpsnpsfguza.jpg

..you can see where the panel goes here - right around the base of the gear leg..

WIP1480_zpselxu1hrj.jpg

..a structural lip was added and the fixing screws detailed...

WIP1481_zpsrrlko267.jpg

..also made up the front panel that defines the gear leg slot and dry fitted it all..

WIP1482_zpszlzkpwrx.jpg

..made them up for both sides and started to make the curved fairings around the base of the radiators..

WIP1486_zpsps7ri6rk.jpg

..all dry fitted together...

WIP1484_zpsdnn9zjno.jpg

WIP1483_zpskr4xseby.jpg

WIP1485_zps7axxlnle.jpg

,,I can't fit any of these parts yet though, the panels becuase I won't be able to fit the gear legs, and the radiators because I want to get the painting done without having them hanging on the bottom of the airframe & get damaged..

back soon..

TTFN

Peter