Trumpeter Hellcat Lt (jg) Daniel Carmichael

petrov27

Also - anyone built this kit and can comment on the engine? Is it pretty accurate/decent? Or would it be better to seek an aftermarket engine or from another kit?

Patrick,

The R-2800 in the kit is a nice representation..You're almost guaranteed it will fit ( unlike using an aftermarket one not designed for the kit).. you could use a Vector Resin motor, but if your cowling is staying on..The Trumpeter part is more than fine overall for what you can see of it though the front of the cowl. Build it, wire it, call it good.

Just my 2 cents

Paul

Will asked the same question I was about to ask you Patrick. I'm using the CMK pit on a Hasegawa version and the pit you're using really looks the part... Looking good. I also like the Fundekals your going to use.

This is going to be worth the wait for any new progress pictures. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy

Thanks for the positive comments! Not feeling well today - still dealing with side effects from chemo - so not much progress though I got the armor plate that sits behind the pilots head sorted out (not much really - added a photoetched part from "Big Ed" and the bar that runs across the lower portion of the plate.)

Regarding the CMK set - I actually have that also - I initially was gonna use it on this build as it now fits just fine with my fuselage mods, but the TD pit set just seemed to have just slightly better and more detail on it. I do like the CMK set though - really clean castings.

Yep have the fundekal set - probably gonna also create masks via my Silhouette cutter for the national insignia and maybe the numbers as well just so the white matches....

Looking fantastic Patrick!  Keep it up!  I wish there was a way for you to make a full sized cutting template/drawing  showing exactly where and how much material to remove to modify the fuselage the way you have. Your modification has improved the shape much more so than I thought it could be, Im wondering if I shouldnt get another one afterall?    :thumbsup:

Hope to hear you're feeling better soon, 

6f131aedc2ebb3d5ae4d171a03b08fab.jpg

Paul

Thanks gents - nice looking restoration Hellcat there - she's a beaut...

My hands have been a problem - dealing with some treatment side effects that makes my fingers numb so did not do much to the 'pit this week as I had lots of trouble picking up small bits. I did however make huge progress with the rest of the build. The wing is fairly complex given that Trumpeter designed it to be able to be displayed as folded (I actually think it would be easier to build if you want folded wings) - the wheel wells have quite a few parts etc but it all went together fairly well. With a little tweaking I am very pleased with the wing to fuselage fit - may not need any filler...

AFx2NINl.jpg

Hey now that's looking sharp Patrick! 

Any thoughts to external stores? Fuel tank etc.? 

I am happy to see your progress, and you're doing very well with the soon to be big blue kitty, numb fingers and all.  :thumbsup: 

I have almost started my Hasegawa kit plus a bazillion add ons a few times now.. just not feeling it. But watching you is definitely inspiring. 

Keep up the great work and feel better soon! 

Paul

Hey Patrick, sorry to read about you dealing with chemo. Don't you worry, I'll be praying for you and we'll beat this chemo down. As for your model, dude, I love the easy fix n the fuselage. It sure looks better and the TD pit...it is looking nice. Might have to pick one as well. Keep up the good work ;)