Revell DH-Sea Venom 1/32

TaffyMan

You are such crazy scratcher, dude!  :blink:

Nice work  :thumbsup:

Hi thanks for looking in. Not sure about my scratchy compared to some around here – but I do learn a lot from these masters!

Cheers - Taff

I quite like this kit, no idea why

_3306719_zps7520bce0.jpg

The sparse detail I can live with, scratch building always livens things up, the biggest issue for me is the great big

"woof" in the fuselage around the gun bay doors that doesnt exist on the real bird.

I think Matchbox pooched the fuselage dimensions between the engine bay and the forward fuselage,

Wow love the 1:1 model very jealous of that kind of research at your finger tips!

Wasn't aware of the door thing what is wrong with the kit? If its fixable I might give it a go – Then this is meant to be a sanity build to get me going again! :hmmm:

You don't happen to have any nice pictures of the back of the seats and the area behind and with fingers crossed the back shelf bit that sits under the canopy that you wouldn't mind sharing? Been trying to find info on these areas and am really struggling. Got some half shots and bits of info but nothing clear.

Thanks for looking and posting and any info will be gratefully received - Taff

Some fine work !

Cheers mate trying to find some time to push on at the moment!!

Till next time Happy Modelling - Taff :D

You don't happen to have any nice pictures of the back of the seats and the area behind and with fingers crossed the back shelf bit that sits under the canopy that you wouldn't mind sharing? Been trying to find info on these areas and am really struggling. Got some half shots and bits of info but nothing clear.

Sure do.

I'll have a rummage and post something soonish

damn thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job on building that pit, seriously! 

Thanks for the compliment - bit of a way to go with this yet! Birthday will get in the way this week but am hoping to get too slap some paint on these bits next week - nice to get away from all that white!

Sure do.

I'll have a rummage and post something soonish

Please rummage that would be great and fingers crossed really appreciated :thumbsup: - most cockpit pictures just show forward and if lucky a bit of side DOH :shrug: they always seem to forget to take a look at the back!

Cheers till next time - Taff :D

All I have at the moment are a couple of shots from my latest restoration, WZ 897

The lady herself

_5256856_zpsc5fdd6bc.jpg

Aft cockpit bulkhead, unfortunately stripped

_5256866_zpse3af8e29.jpg

The bits your interested in for the rear shelf are in amongst this lot

_9287863_zps08c8a838.jpg

the big lump of a thing with the two rectangular blocks goes on the starboard side, the other goes on the port in front of the hydraulic tank.

I'm down the museum again this week end, I'll get some better shots then.

Taff

Nice start on the front office and the IP; really like the idea about an in flight display as well

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Peter thanks for looking in mate – yep I'm looking forward to how I do the in-flight pose as well! I have no idea on how to do it yet but I am hopeful some inspiration will come to me!

All I have at the moment are a couple of shots from my latest restoration, WZ 897

The lady herself

_5256856_zpsc5fdd6bc.jpg

Aft cockpit bulkhead, unfortunately stripped

_5256866_zpse3af8e29.jpg

The bits your interested in for the rear shelf are in amongst this lot

_9287863_zps08c8a838.jpg

the big lump of a thing with the two rectangular blocks goes on the starboard side, the other goes on the port in front of the hydraulic tank.

I'm down the museum again this week end, I'll get some better shots then.

Yeah cheers for these just the kind of thing I was looking for – Looks like bumps, lumps and boxes plus grey wires and I might get away with it. Pretty sure any others reference pictures will be welcome not just by me but by others as well. :thumbsup:  Nice project is she going to fly or just for a static display.

Not much build time at the moment as I have turned the magic 50 today I have been away at Cosford Museum all day  - Great place and some great planes on show. Got London tomorrow so once again no chance to get to my desk but will try some this weekend!!!!! Depends how much celebrating I do on Saturday?  :beer4:

Till next Happy Days - Taff :D

Port side first

WZ-907 with everything in place

_9208914_zps24971440.jpg

WZ-897's hydraulic tank, the voltage regulator is removed

_9208903_zpsbcafa480.jpg

897's old voltage reg

_9208902_zps50e80735.jpg

WZ-907 starboard side

_9208915_zps8ddd697e.jpg

897's voltage reg and circuit breaker panel complete

_9208898_zps5f918815.jpg

This is all thats under the starboard side.

And finally 907's cockpit looking aft.

_9208917_zps6e552f0e.jpg

Anymore requests please just ask.

• 1 month later...

Cheers SJL Those pic's are a great help and not just for me but a few others will relish them as well :thumbsup:

Update

Hi Folks and Folkess - Between selling our house, buying a new one and trying to organise for the move plus trying to find some work haven't had much time to spend on this as I would have liked! But I am now pushing her along a bit.

I have opened up the gun channels - this was a bit of a pain as the plastic is quite thick and the channel not very deep. I cut the end off from inside and replaced this with a bit of plastic tube cut down its length to give a back but a open aperture, I made the barrels out of a couple of inserted brass tubes.

Here's a pic of the test fit. I think in the real thing that the guns sit further back in the fuselage - but this way I don't have to worry about hiding the join with the tube as it gets hidden by the guns.

011-SeaVenomFAW22_zps3fc4c310.jpg

It's after this point with everything glued that you have that moment of… Wait this is wheels up why didn't I fit the front wheel UC covers? Okay will do that later!

Here is a test fit for the sidewalls. Also I have made up some rudder pedals out of gash plastic sheet, cut to shape. Not sure how much you will see of these with the Twins sat in their seats - but just in case and I'll know they are there.

012-SeaVenomFAW22_zps06108186.jpg

013-SeaVenomFAW22_zps9abec8cc.jpg

So with these bits temp in place thought I would try a dry fit of the seats and Twins to give me a rough idea of what they will look like

015-SeaVenomFAW22_zps31386cee.jpg

That's looking non-to shabby to me! You can see that I have started to hack the Twins about. I am trying to make them look a bit less stiff static.

So whilst I have got these half tacked together thought I would try the guns for fit - UC covers are now on, but with no primer on them. Plus the fit is so-so! Think I will run some Mr Surface 500 into these to fill them a bit.

014-SeaVenomFAW22_zps40080606.jpg

Yeah!!!!! With the Seats done and the test fit working okay - I can at last give this white plastic a blast

Primer on - From White to Grey

016-SeaVenomFAW22_zps55ae5395.jpg

Mixed up my custom British Dark Grey that I use for the Black interior - Grey to Black-ish

017-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsdd199bfb.jpg

Bit of dry brushing - first with a light grey then over some places with Aluminum. My attempt to add a bit of life and texture to the coalhole!

Thought I had some shots of the cockpit bits finished but can't find them. So best I have is the test fit of the Twins so I could cut and pose their arms.

018-SeaVenomFAW22_zps234f6219.jpg

Re-shot the IP - This was attached but in test fitting the Twins in to their seats It started to work loose. So hindsight and all that! But it will make working on this easier to have it separate. So a bit of careful force and she popped of with no damage. Also the detritus will be removed before the final stick and seal up.

019-SeaVenomFAW22_zps7fb9d2f4.jpg

Okay bit more to come in a mo - Taff :D

Okay back with part 2

I had a c ock up with the radar screens - I punched out the ones from the kit decals - that went fine until I thought I would add a bit of Tam transparent orange diluted with some floor polish - :hmmm: okay up to this point but as it dried it became uneven and concentrated around the edges - Doh!!!!! :unsure: So I then painted up some thin clear with the transparent orange and punched it out and squidged them in But in doing this just made the decals disappear - Well nowtt I can do about it so this is the best I could do but with the Twins in place you don't see tons of these anyway!

020-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsa59c56d0.jpg

So with the cockpit drying I started to look at the wings. I fitted the air intakes - these will need some attention later. That is along with all the other filling and blending so I intend to try and do all this in one hit - well that's the plan!

021-SeaVenomFAW22_zpsdc8167f1.jpg

So remembering Wheels up on this one I dry fitted the wheel UC doors - then it occurred to me…. wait a mo this is like the Vamp no wheel covers on the boom!!!!! So that would leave a gaping hole :shrug: - So after some thinking I chopped the top ends of the main legs. Rubbed the inside edge down flat, so that it would fit between the wheel well and the door. Next drilled through the top and inserted a bit of thin plastic tube - hope it looks a bit like a hinge. Sprayed up with Aluminium primer then a light coat of Alclad Aluminium - Nothing like the real thing but better than just leaving a hole IMO.

022-SeaVenomFAW22_zps2647f4ba.jpg

Right moved on to how I am going to stick her up in the air? I tried to get a clear Perspex rod but couldn't get quite the right diameter but whilst in B&Q I found some chromed tubes that where spot on. So I decided it will be stuck on a chrome tube instead!

Okay bit of persuading to get it to fit inside the engine but there we go……. no not a new wond for the dark lord but a revel engine stuck on to a chrome tube

023-SeaVenomFAW22_zps491d5e1c.jpg

024-SeaVenomFAW22_zps358ff7e8.jpg

Bit of a close up of the jet exhaust this has been polished up and a bit of Tam weathering pallet added

Okay progress - more work to be done on the twins then I am hopping to close up the fuselage Yeah first milestone done and with a bit of luck it will start to look like a plane on a stick!

Till next time happy modelling - Taff :D