• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

I've never seen a photo of this a/c showing the whole airplane. The ORIGINAL a/c is the one I'm referring to, not the Collings bird. Does anyone know of any? Considering a build and want to do it "right" if I decide to proceed.

• harvey likes this

Beans beans the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you poot. The more you poot the better you feel so it's beans beans for EVERY meal!

#2 Juggernut

Juggernut

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

Hi John,

Are you planning on 1/32? If so, you'll need to kitbash the HK F and G kits to get anywhere near how she appeared. If memory serves, she was B-17G-25-BO, serial 42-31909.

She would have the standard tail turret, unstaggered, 3-pane, enclosed waist windows. She'd have no vents at the wingtips or heater exhaust on the left wing. Her astrodome was replaced with a flat Plexiglas glass panel as were several ships in the 91st. Depending on what period in career you want to depict her, the olive drab would be more tan than green (late service life).

The are very few photos of her entire side but I do have a few if I can locate them. Is there anything specific you're looking for regarding her appearance? If so, let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can find.

Tim

Edited by Juggernut, 12 August 2017 - 06:43 PM.

• harvey and JohnB like this

#3 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Hi John,

Are you planning on 1/32? If so, you'll need to kitbash the HK F and G kits to get anywhere near how she appeared. If memory serves, she was B-17G-25-BO, serial 42-31909.

She would have the standard tail turret, unstaggered, 3-pane, enclosed waist windows. She'd have no vents at the wingtips or heater exhaust on the left wing. Her astrodome was replaced with a flat Plexiglas glass panel as were several ships in the 91st. Depending on what period in career you want to depict her, the olive drab would be more tan than green (late service life).

The are very few photos of her entire side but I do have a few if I can locate them. Is there anything specific you're looking for regarding her appearance? If so, let me know what you're looking for and I'll see what I can find.

Tim

Thanks Tim! That does help. Mainly I want to be sure of the type waist windows. I'm not planning to do the 1/32 kit (too BIG and too COSTLY unfortunately so, if I decide to proceed it'll have to be the 1/48 Monogram/Revell kit.) Any photos other than those readily available on Google would be appreciated. Thanks again.

John

• harvey and Peterpools like this

Beans beans the musical fruit. The more you eat the more you poot. The more you poot the better you feel so it's beans beans for EVERY meal!

#4 Bomber_County

Bomber_County

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

John I'll have a look tomorrow if that's ok, if have some war publications from 1944, I have a feeling there is one there, have you tried all Roger Freeman's publications.......
Phil.

LSP - On the bench - Tamiya Birdcage, SH Tempest V - hi tech
LSP - Stash - Tamiya Mosquito, Revell Ju87B, 1/24 P51D Mustang

#5 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

John I'll have a look tomorrow if that's ok, if have some war publications from 1944, I have a feeling there is one there, have you tried all Roger Freeman's publications.......

Thanks. I haven't tried all of Freeman's books so far. I DO have some I can check though. Also, there might be something in Steve Birdsall's book. I'll have to check.

• harvey likes this

#6 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

This is the belly turret. You can see the waist guns in the window just behind the turret. | B-17 Flying Fortress--Inside and Out | Pinterest | Aircraft
https://www.google.c...72498050364399/
  • harvey, JohnB and Swatto like this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#7 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:15 PM

I've looked in Peter Bowers "Fortress in the Sky", Jeff Ethell's "Bomber Command", and Steve Birdsall's "Log of the Liberators". All I have found so far is a side view art of Nine O Nine in Birdsall's book. Unfortunately I think it's not accurate. Checking through the block numbers in "Fortress in the Sky" it appears that the style of framed enclosed waist windows on the kit is correct for 909. I also found a pic of another B-17 one serial number away from 231909 and it has the late Cheyenne retro fit tail turret and framed enclosed waist windows. I wonder it 909 finished up having the Cheyenne tail. What a can of worms. LOL

Edited by JohnB, 12 August 2017 - 09:28 PM.

• harvey likes this

#8 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

• harvey and Peterpools like this

Res Non Verba .

#9 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:19 PM

This is the belly turret. You can see the waist guns in the window just behind the turret. | B-17 Flying Fortress--Inside and Out | Pinterest | Aircraft
https://www.google.c...72498050364399/

Thanks for the link MARU! Some good photos there. :)

• harvey and MARU5137 like this

#10 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

B-17G-909-right-side.jpg (800×476)
http://www.taphilo.c...-right-side.jpg

Use fingers to expand photo.
  • harvey likes this

Res Non Verba .

#11 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

B-17G-909-Bombadier-view.jpg (553×800)
http://www.taphilo.c...badier-view.jpg
  • harvey likes this

Res Non Verba .

#12 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

B-17G-909-right-side.jpg (800×476)
http://www.taphilo.c...-right-side.jpg

Use fingers to expand photo.

Thanks MARU but that is the Collings a/c and not the "original" 909.

• harvey likes this

#13 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

Yes of course. I forgot. :doh: MY BAD.

Res Non Verba .

#14 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

John I just read somewhere that to avoid gunners getting into each other's way the B-17G had its windows staggered so they would not collide as they did in B-17 E et .

Here's a interesting read from a veteran of the original 909.

Flying high on Nine-O-Nine: WWII veteran recalls service | The Columbian
http://www.columbian...ecalls-service/
  • harvey likes this

Res Non Verba .

#15 JohnB

JohnB

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

John I just read somewhere that to avoid gunners getting into each other's way the B-17G had its windows staggered so they would not collide as they did in B-17 E et .

Here's a interesting read from a veteran of the original 909.

Flying high on Nine-O-Nine: WWII veteran recalls service | The Columbian
http://www.columbian...ecalls-service/

Thanks. Yes, they did stagger the waist windows but it was on later block numbered a/c as far as I have been able to determine.

• harvey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users