Cyber Hobby Me 110 G-4

Cheetah11

All's going very well Nick, very impressed with your new MG barrels! As a seasoned WW2 researcher who has learned to be sceptical about a lot of information posted on websites, what's your evidence for the finish applied to the wheel wells of late GAF aircraft please?

Max

Hi Max

I have looked at the analysis by Michael Ullman in his book Luftwaffe Colors where he quotes the different orders by the RLM with dates when the paint finishes were changed to conserve raw materials. The SS also mentions the weel wells were RLM02 or the underside color or unpainted. At the moment my friend has borrowed my copy of Michael Ullman's book to finish his build on the ME 262 B-2. If you need specific dates and description of the orders and Michael's analysis , I can get it within about a week. Here is a very interesting analysis of  the finish on the Me 262 and a terrific build. Enjoy

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9505

Nick

Nice work on the 110G. It'll be interesting to see how your canopy approach works out.

I'd suggest a range of finishes are possible in the wheel wells and there's a degree of safety in terms of much of the detail being 'unknowable'.

One thing is that steel parts would be painted as they had to be to even survive being stockpiled before assembly without rusting. RLM02 and RLM66 are both candidates for those parts. Dural likely unpainted, but poss some subcontracted parts painted.

Here's a couple of photos of interior (fuel cell housing in wing and inside rear fuselage) where we may see something more akin to original finish (though I'm not sure about the RLM76 on the stringers?). This is Hendon's machine which has been re-painted at least a couple of times on the outside.

40465320541_123ba2e16c_c.jpgCapture by Matt Low, on Flickr

26594706418_e834892c7b_b.jpgCapture2 by Matt Low, on Flickr

I nowadays tend to think almost anything is possible and very little is provable.. Which is quite empowering in a way.

That said, it'd be interesting for someone to do a comprehensive study of the Hendon 110G-4 to see what's original and poss what lies beneath some of the repaints...

Matt

... The problem I have with most of the drawings is that they show the DB601 and DB605 nacelles as the same length. The more I look at side on photos , the more I get the impression the DB 605 nacelle was about 3 to 4 inches longer. I have measured the relative lenghts of all the panel lines on all the photos I could get and made my nacelles 3 mm longer than that of the Me 110 E kit. I might be wrong about this but it is just something I noticed when starting this build. Any comments? ...

Hi Nick, the 601 and 605 were the same engine externally.

The 605 had a bigger bore and different timing and a few

other internal differences. I don't know if there were other

changes to the engine compartment that would require a

lengthening of the nacelles but it wouldn't have been

because of the engine change.

Looking very nice so far :speak_cool:

VERY late to the party here, I know ... 

Mike is right here to one extent at least ... the DB.605 utilises a modified DB.601 block. Therefore, theoretically, the engine should be the same length.

However, fully assembled, with supercharger and other external bells and whistles, the DB.605 was actually longer ... to the tune of 400mm+ ...

It may also have ended up slightly wider at complete assembly ... but I don't have any info on that regard.

DB.601:

Type: Twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled supercharged 60° inverted Vee aircraft piston engine

Bore: 150 mm (5.91 in)

Stroke: 160 mm (6.30 in)

Displacement: 33.93 l (2,070.54 cu in)

Length: 1,722 mm (67.80 in)

DB.605:

Type: 12-cylinder liquid-cooled supercharged 60° inverted Vee aircraft piston engine

Bore: 154 mm (6.06 in)

Stroke: 160 mm (6.30 in)

Displacement: 35.7 L (2,176 in³)

Length: 2,158 mm (85 in)

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the interest and comments. 

Matt,

You are perfectly correct on the fact that things are not provable on late war German finishes. Although I cannot prove many of the assumptions, I still would like to at least get a good probability of having a realistic finish. An example is the use of synthetic material for seat belts. Since only one FW 190D is documented with this, I will still use the older type on my Me 110.The Hendon machine is interesting as a reference, but unfortunately not in the same range time wise as the machine I am doing. I agree the struts and other steel pieces would most likely be RLM02. 

Rog and Mike, 

thanks for the input. I just hope half the length increase was at the rear of the engine. As I have based the design of the nacelles on a couple of photos, hopefully it will look right when completed..

Happy modeling all

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

I'm curious Rog, what bells and whistles added over 15 inches

to the length ? That's over a foot which would likely indicate

a noticeable design change to the cowling.

Just wondering   :shrug:

Me too!! ...

I have a fair amount of data to sift though when I'm looking at specs for things ... and most unfortunately, when it comes to German engineering, a LOT of it is contradictory.

Also ... a lot of it is not in print!! ... which means engineering forums etc ... 

... and I know this because I've had to walk through this headache when tarting up a set of Brassin DB.601 and 605's recently.

For example:

One of the references I looked at states that the DB.605 was a completely redesigned cylinder block ... that hardly leans toward 'just' an 'improved 601' ... Although, since nobody is citing any references, I have no idea who their source was.

One thing I can say is that the dimensions I quoted above were evident in just about each reference that went anywhere near external dimensions ... My Brassin 605 (fully assembled) looks fractionally longer than the 601 but otherwise the same.

... and so ... it is what it is ... but how it got there, I have no idea! lol

Rog :)

Hi Max

I have looked at the analysis by Michael Ullman in his book Luftwaffe Colors where he quotes the different orders by the RLM with dates when the paint finishes were changed to conserve raw materials. The SS also mentions the weel wells were RLM02 or the underside color or unpainted. At the moment my friend has borrowed my copy of Michael Ullman's book to finish his build on the ME 262 B-2. If you need specific dates and description of the orders and Michael's analysis , I can get it within about a week. Here is a very interesting analysis of  the finish on the Me 262 and a terrific build. Enjoy

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9505

Nick

Thanks Nick for the reference. I've just finished reading "Luftwaffe Fighter Ace", the autobiography of Norbert Hannig who served mostly on the Eastern Front flying Fw190s. A truly fascinating read which covers his training, operations and post-war experiences and what comes over very clearly is the state of constant change, order and counter order in Germany in the late war years so the likelihood of anything being possible is very possible!!! :)

Max

I'm curious Rog, what bells and whistles added over 15 inches

to the length ? That's over a foot which would likely indicate

a noticeable design change to the cowling.

Just wondering   :shrug:

I'd have thought the fact that the 109F-4 and the 109G-1 through G-4 had the same cowlings (apart from air scoops added) would indicate the 601 and 605 were pretty close to each other in dimensions?

Doesn't mean the 110G cowling wasn't a bit longer though.  Have to be a good reason as it'd mean adding weight in the rear fuselage to bring the CG back, wouldn't it?

Anyway, excellent work, looking forward to seeing it all come together.

matt

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I have been a bit distracted by the Mustang build but has slowly been working on the Me 110. Here is a bit of progress. I am following a different approach to Andy by doing sub-assemblies . I am sure I will break some of the parts when painting the model, so the cockpit parts will be added after painting. 

I am also experimenting with a new weathering technique by highlighting the panel lines with pastels and then softening it by airbrushing the base color over it. 

The seat belts are pieces of lead foil. I feel the paper and photo etched belts are a bit stiff and do not show the natural sag of fabric belts well in 1/32.

I am not entirely happy with the radar antennae and have ordered a Fug 218 set from Master and will most likely replace it later.

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

008.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

Enjoy

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11