Revell 1:32 Hunter - Miss Demeanour

KallistiUK

Oh no please don't consider me an expert - I'm just a plain old bungler who frequently bites off more than he can chew but normally won't let go until its either a thorough mess or is comfortably digestible :)

In hindsight I think my naivete then about airbrushing helped me get this far as I didn't know what "wasn't possible" or how difficult it would be, which is one reason I have had problems coming back to finish this! Its been sitting on the shelf since last summer and one of the reasons I posted it here was to try to get myself enthused about it again so that once I've finished the Hurricane I'd go back and sort this one out before ANOTHER newer cool project caught my eye ;)

The problem with your idea of curved templates cut from card is the hard demarcation lines. The gradient areas are actually quite easy to achieve freehand, especially if you mount it on a turntable like I did.. .you then just spin the model (not TOO fast!) and hold the brush steady. Starts with the light colour at the nose and work down and its easy. The difficult bit is the hard demarcation lines!

If I were doing it again now from scratch (rather than trying to touch it up as I'll have to do) my best bet I reckon would be to use frisket film (like this stuff), print out the curve onto the frisket film then cut out the mask and be able to stick it to the surface to get a good line. The major issues I had was bleed along the various joins between masking tape strips and to get the curve I used a LOT of small strips of masking tape!

• 4 years later...