Hans beat me to it... He-219A-7 Combat Models

Thor,

The fit as to all vac parts is always at times a pain in the butt.I use automotive sandpapaer.Becqause it's alot better as to sanding down the parts to their right feel and as to the wings themselves.The trailing edge for the 219 can be done this way.But the way is to glue a sheet of 80 grit paper to a flat piece of wood and go to town.Work the trailing edge first and test fit alot to make sure that they do not give a wavey look.U'll se what i mean at times when u'er sanding those edges.

Hope u have alot of super glue and hardener for this build.And when u have the wings looking good.Tape them together and run the super,i use the stuff that hobby lobby has in the green tip bottle.It's the medium type and it run down hill rather good.But as is aid.Tape the wings together and start at the leading edge and let the glue run down the length of the wing there.Then shoot some hardener down on the glue and it will siit up fast.Do the same to the trailing edge as well.

Don't know what u used to re-enforce the fusealge halves.But i use balsawood sticks that are 1/-8th of an inch and i glue them to the inside edge of the fuselage for extra strength and it gives the feel of a regular plastic model.And for the wings as to mounting them to the fuselage.use baslawood here and make sure that the inverted side is to the plans.It will give u a better fit there as to the balsawood spar and sand it to shape as to the wing opening there as well.It will fit alot better and help u with the alignment as well.And make sure that u do not give the wing a downward look.That will really mess things up if u have applied glue there.

And u just might want to get a gap sealing super glue.There are some places that will have small gaps here and there.And the wing deal u mentioned in u'er response mentioned that.And don't worry if u sand through places.Gap sealing super glue to the rescue will do the trick.

One other thing as to gluing the cowl to the nacelles.Cut out two circles that will fit to the front of the nacelles.This will give u a mounting faces for the cowls and those to should have the same thing done as to helping u mount the nacelles and to align them.

But one thing i think u should do first and this is to help u with the wings,is to do the tailplane first.Thta way it will give u the feel of what to look for in getting the wings ready for mounting and fitting the halves together.

Hope this helps and again.If u need anything.Just YELL.Larry

Thanks Larry- I want to get this right, as the He-219 is my favorite aircraft of all time. I thank you for the assistance. I want to make this in progress build heavy with photos, so that other guys, (who recently seem to have a rekindled interest in vacs) who might be hesitant to try a vac, might be able to see whats involved. I am nowhere as proficient as you with them, so your input will be invaluable!

I need some better scale plans, as I am not buying the Combat plans.....I am heading out today to get some. Will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks-

THOR :huh:

OK Guys- After getting some better plans scaled up frm a few of my publications, Here is what I have come up with after a cursory glance at the plnas vs. parts. I was suprised in some areas...at not only accuracy, but inaccuracy! Please excuse the quality of the pics- They were not shot with the better camera and best conditions- But they speak volumes on what I am talking about!!!!!

This first pic is the fuselage- As you can see, it scales pretty well to the plans. But, it comes up about 8mm short in length. I plan on cutting off the emmpenage and adding a shim. Also, the from of the gun trough on the belly is too blunt- It will need a bit of shaping down to a more smooth profile. The blue marked areas are the places that require attention.....

Hans had said that he found the fuselage to be a bit too tall- I agree with this, but it is only about a 1/2 mm- Hardly enough to get excited about in my eyes. I will live with that.

post-719-1203199320.jpg

A bit of a closer shot of the emmpenage shape issue. I will fix this, as it is kinda noticeable to me......As I said, I will cut off the rear fuselage, and insert a plug to remedy this- I will reshape the tail warning radar hump on the undersides....

post-719-1203199434.jpg

A shot of the horizontal stabilizer against the plans. The overall shape is decent, but the chord is too narrow. I will have to extend the leadin edge by about 4 to 5 mm to match up. I will probably do this with a bit of half round stock and Milliput sanded to shape. Also, the stabilizer has a few degrees dihedral when viewed from the front. The kit part is flat. I plan on adding a spar to correct this as well. The elevators will be removed and repositioned......Again- blue marked areas are in need of attention.

post-719-1203199595.jpg

OK, Here is some of the problems with the wings- First, the i/b edge of the wing between the fuselage and nacelle, is about 1/4 of an inch too narrow. If the wings are mounted in this fashion, the props will not clear the fuselage when rotating! Also, the wingtip needs to be completely reshape. The nacelless as given are about 1/4of an inch too long in length, and need to be cut down at the front. The trailing edge is wrong, as the angles and width are off in places. I will also need to build up the trim tabs on the ailerons, as they should extend past the wing trailing edge. The rear of the nacelle needs to be extended a few millimeters, and be more sharp.

Added to all of this I need to design a spar arrangement, and wheel wells. The panel lines need to be redone, and I am also planning on cutting the ailerons away, as well as the flaps. All of the blue areas are discrepancies against the plans!

post-719-1203200404.jpg

Personally I think I could live with most of the shape issues you've highlighted Thor, but those fins... :o

For the tailplanes, rather than extend the leading edge (which would require rebuilding its shape), you could try cutting the tailplanes longitudinally and inserting a plug of the correct width to push the existing leading edge forward. That way you're increasing the chord without having to rebuild the leading edge. I hope I'm making sense here!

Kev

Personally I think I could live with most of the shape issues you've highlighted Thor, but those fins... :o

For the tailplanes, rather than extend the leading edge (which would require rebuilding its shape), you could try cutting the tailplanes longitudinally and inserting a plug of the correct width to push the existing leading edge forward. That way you're increasing the chord without having to rebuild the leading edge. I hope I'm making sense here!

Kev

That does sound like the better idea there.Kevin

A little more on the mystery of the He219's of NJG 10 and Nowegan Staffel- Apparently a small number of 219's went to this unit, into Norway. Hans was kind enough to refer me to an article on Hyperscale, written by Andreas Duda. While I like his build, he attached some photos that he claimed were of a wrecked machine, coded L1 ??. These photos have appeared in various publications on the 219, and came courtesy of Manfred Griehl.

As you can see- it is impossible to tell what the fuselage codes are in the photos. Manfred Greihl, quoted this aircraft as ebing G9#DH in his book, He219 Uhu. But, the accompanying photos he has of the airfame G9#DH, do not match these. It is impossible to tell..........from the photos what unit this machine was assigned to. Aircraft of the NJ Staffel Nowegan wore the B4 code sequence. This does not appear to be a machine of either NJG 10 or NJ Nowegan staffel........The hunt continues.

Thanks for looking- THOR :o

post-719-1203201797.jpg

post-719-1203201813.jpg

Well Kev- Thanks for the reply- Most of them are a bit more severe than the photos show, but the kit is close in a lot of areas. Some may live with them- I think some will be left alone, but some are just glaring to me. But right now I will just work on getting whats there to fit properly to each other. Then I will decide to see whats in need of correcting......The horizontal stab really does not have a leading edge right now- just kind of a flat face............

Thanks-

THOR :o

Thor,

isee as to the posting of the rudder and how it's way off.The length u posted as to the plans are not bad and that's an easy fix for sure.But for the rudders.I would go with this as to making them right and to the correct size to the plans.Cutout the the ones that look right and add thickness to the first fin.Then add some bondo to the surrounding areas and sand to shape.That dimple that is on the outside fo the fin can be added as a small teardrop from a old piece of resin and sanded to sahpe and glued and refinded after in place.

For the leading edge of the tailplane from the posting u have shown.I would cut off the front part and then add the evergreen shape half of a solid rod they sell.it comes in three or four sizes and will cut down u reworking that edge.And u might have to do the same to the wings.But that could be an up hill battle there.

As for the wing spar.There should be one on the kit plans.But race the area that hopefully shows the spar and then u can use balsawood or basswood for the spar.I used short spar plugs here and they didn't have to go alway through the fuselage and into the other wing.And remember to sand to shape of the wing opening.This can help u ouit as to making sure the wings wil not be offset as well.

But i'm sure u may have already figured out something as to what i have mentioned.Any and all ideas from the brian as to trail and error work for vacs.And i'll see if i can find a reference to the fuselage codes of that 219 that crashed in norway.Larry

Thanks Larry- I have decided to build a box in the upper fuselage, that will house a couple of tubular spars, and the wings will have tubular spars that will interlock, much like the Tamiya kit. The wings will need a bit of help- Actually a lot (Brian Cauchi can vouch for me here!) But- I am not worried about the tails, I will get them into shape. There were no plans for a spar in my plans, so I will use the shape of the wings to help here.

I would love to be to the point, that I could be building the interior bits and adding details. I love that part.

I will post some more pics when I can, and I will have the wife take the important photos, since she is a professional!!! :o

Thanks for the help Larry!

And Hans- What is shaking with yours???????????

THOR :P

Thor,

Have another idea as to finding the fuselage codes u'er looking for.Post on the discussion board to steve gallcia and jerry crandell.Even ry wumm in austrailia.One of them surely should be able to help u out.And one other could do the trickPost some to alan in austria.he sent me some stuff for my proto-type 219 which i'm planning on doing later on this year as a scracthbuilt project.Larry