Tamiya Spitfire FR IX- PRU pink (Finished)

Here's my entry into this GB. The PRU pink Spitfires have certainly been an eye-catching scheme over the years. When I first thought about doing one, I wasn't sure about the shade of pink. Edgar was very helpful in figuring that out.

I'll be starting with the Tamiya IXc kit:

IMG_20160111_221152.jpg

The contents are a bit jumbled as I had to mix it with another kit to get under the 25% completion limit.

IMG_20160111_221218.jpg

For extras, I'll be using some Barracuda resin bits, RB rad screens and Ad Astra paint masks for the markings.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Most of the work I had done was on the fuselage and making the opening for the camera in the left side.

IMG_20160111_221455.jpg

I had also assembled the wing so I'vd subbed in new bits there.

I started with the engine, building up a couple of subassemblies to make painting easier.

IMG_20160111_222135.jpg

IMG_20160111_235445.jpg

I've done a pink 16 Sqn Spit in 1:48 so won't repeat it myself in 1:32, but I'm looking forward to seeing yours.  Here's a bit of inspiration for you:  http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?129928-Pink-Spitfire-question

[Edit: You may already have seen that picture elsewhere, it's quite a well-known one, but look who pops up further into the thread - none other than Edgar.]

Re my 1:48 model: someone called it out at a show once, as I hadn't shown "ghosted" invasion stripes under the wings, depicting where they'd been removed.  I must admit this didn't occur to me when I built the model.  I'd be interested to know what you think - depict or not?

Edited by MikeC

This should look great, I was looking at the Britmodeller thread yesterday on the subject and thought that it would be nice to build a pink Spitfire, so I'll be following carefully.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Pru pink, now that will be different. Looking forward to this.

This should make a neat companion to the blue version you made before Carl.

I can't wait to see how the pink looks.

You're off to a fine start.

Cheers.

Thanks gents!

The plan is have a PRU Spitfire in blue, pink, and the standard late war scheme.  The last one will be a FR XIV as flown by the RCAF.

I've done a pink 16 Sqn Spit in 1:48 so won't repeat it myself in 1:32, but I'm looking forward to seeing yours.  Here's a bit of inspiration for you:  http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?129928-Pink-Spitfire-question

[Edit: You may already have seen that picture elsewhere, it's quite a well-known one, but look who pops up further into the thread - none other than Edgar.]

Re my 1:48 model: someone called it out at a show once, as I hadn't shown "ghosted" invasion stripes under the wings, depicting where they'd been removed.  I must admit this didn't occur to me when I built the model.  I'd be interested to know what you think - depict or not?

I'd love to see pics of your build Mike if you have any. I haven't decided yet on the invasion stripes. I'm thinking I will do them as they'll provide a contrast to the pink which is very light in colour.

Magic subject and great start - welcome aboard!

Iain

Thanks Iain! BTW, did you see that Fujimi is releasing an S1 Lotus Esprit? I've got one on order to go with their recent submarine version.

Fantastic subject choice Carl, will be following with interest.

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy! Hopefully it'll end better than my Mossie. Or at least last longer :)

This should look great, I was looking at the Britmodeller thread yesterday on the subject and thought that it would be nice to build a pink Spitfire, so I'll be following carefully.

Cheers

Dennis

There's something about a pink Spitfire that's so captivating isn't there?

Some progress on the build. I assembled most of the firewall and engine cradle. This way I can paint it all in one shot.

IMG_20160113_214212.jpg

Since I'm working completely out of order, I built up the wheel wells too. So here's most of the subassemblies ready for paint.

IMG_20160113_230036.jpg

The interior green first:

IMG_20160113_234343.jpg

Followed by semi gloss black for the engine:

IMG_20160113_234413.jpg

I then assembled the engine. There's a couple detail parts to be added but otherwise it's done.

IMG_20160113_234845.jpg

The firewall and cradle were given a quick wash to bring out some detail.

IMG_20160114_160345.jpg

I then masked and sprayed silver on the cockpit bulkheads, side panels and the lower wing.

IMG_20160114_222237.jpg

IMG_20160114_222156.jpg

IMG_20160114_222328.jpg