"Ace of the aces" René Fonck's SPAD XIII

Hubert Boillot

Okay,

I did not vote for this GB (and still hope that one day we will have the V12 one, which could have taken so many entries, including a lot of entries in this GB ... :P ) but these GB are way too much fun...

To reinforce TimW and Russ's in the "Great War" contingent, I will participate with an "oldie but goodie", the venerable Revell SPAD XIII, in 1/28th (more likely 1/27th, btw) scale, which I had bought only for the engine when I thought it could be useful in my "Hansa" project. And to play the "Aces" theme to the end, I will go with René Fonck's SPAD XIII. He finished the war with the Allied "Ace of the Aces" title and 75 confirmed victories, plus a number of "probables" estimated between 52 and 69....

2009_0921AA.jpg

In the meantime, I have to first finish two other GB projects, the Hansa from the EoRs GB, and the KI-86 Cypress from the LSP 10Yr Anniversary GB...The Hansa is still progessing, as the photo shows. A specific update on this one later. As for the SPAD XIII, probably not many news before some time :P

Hubert.

Cool! I have one of these in the stash. Do you have markings for Fonck?

I have the Camel and the Dr I as well, stored for a rainy day. But not the DVII :huh:

Tim W

Hi Tim,

No I have not the markings for Fonck, and have not found any one making them in this scale (unless Spada wants to tackle them, :) :( ;) ) ...But the plan is to make my own markings, using masks and printing decals.

Hubert.

Hi Tim,

No I have not the markings for Fonck, and have not found any one making them in this scale (unless Spada wants to tackle them, B) :) :) ) ...But the plan is to make my own markings, using masks and printing decals.

Hubert.

I was glad to see that the Revell-Ge re-release FINALLY includes some basic French markings, however, for SPA-88.

In the past you could do US or Italian or even Czech...but never French!

Tim W

• 4 months later...

Major change of plan !

Given that the top wing was warped beyond correction on my Revell kit, and that a first demand to them ended up with a new fuselage, and a second with ...nothing ... :) ?

I've decided to switch to a more common scale of 1/32 and have a go at the very nice Hobbycraft Spad XIII ...

Just received it yesterday. It's really nicely detailed, although, I'll go for more in the cockpit...Plus I've seen such nice and colourful finishes of post-war US aces SPADs, i'm most likely to change the markings as well :doh:

20100201ah.jpg

Now, given my snail's pace record, this one will probably end up in the "Clear the workbench " GB !

Hubert

Hubert,

The Hobbycraft SPAD XIII is a good kit,a little plain maybe but talk about a blank canvas to work from. Plenty of room for all sorts of additional details.I'm planning to build two of these sometime this year,after clearing my bench a bit. Naturally one of the two will an Italian Spad the other will be Lt.Frank Luke's .I already have custom decals for Luke's thanks to Doug Baumann.Best of luck with your new project and I'll be eagerly awaiting photos of you progress.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette :)

Thanks for the encouragements Gregory.

although my intention was to go for René Focks' bird, Captain Reed Chambers's "showbird" SPAD of April 1919 is actually pretty irresistible ! Maybe a bit complex for a slow builder like me...but still

I hope I can start this one soon now.

Hubert.

Thanks for the encouragements Gregory.

although my intention was to go for René Focks' bird, Captain Reed Chambers's "showbird" SPAD of April 1919 is actually pretty irresistible ! Maybe a bit complex for a slow builder like me...but still

I hope I can start this one soon now.

Hubert.

Hubert,

Chamber's "Showbird" certainly is irrestible.Slow builder or not if you can manage all the masking Go For It. It sure would set your Spad apart from the usual camoflage examples. Man that's one flashy Spad.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette :D

• 4 weeks later...
Good Morning Hubert,

How's your SPAD progressing lately?

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory,

It looks like it's gone jump straight into the "Clean the Workbench" GB ! I decided to add an engine, and just received Roden's geared Hisso kit. I hope to work on it in the next two evenings...

Hubert.

• 8 years later...

I’m out of the Country right now, but at home I do have the America’s/Gryphon SPAD Xlll Storks Squadron 1/32 decals. It includes Fonck’s SPAD. I’d be willing to cut it out and send it. Of course they are old and must be pretreated as much.

Edited by Fred Jack

• LSP_Kevin changed the title to "Ace of the aces" René Fonck's SPAD XIII