New resin flaps for new Revell P-51D!

109ace

I just took a look at mine and found the sink marks, I'm quite a bit disappointed. They are too deep to leave, they definitely need filling, but the real issue is that the sink marks run the length on both sides of two flaps and one side of another. That's nearly 12†of filling sink marks.

Edited by 1to1scale

There is a very good reason why the flaps are "single piece". The flaps on the "real thing" have a very distinct "concave" look on both faces. That is part of the "laminar flow" profile of the wing. The trailing edge is also knife-sharp. The "problem" is that there are strict rules governing the thickness of material and angles when it comes to injection moulding. In order for the flaps to be split into top-and-bottom parts, the material would need to be thickened quite a bit in that area where the flaps are supposed to be concave and thin, thus eliminating that whole "look". The Revell flaps have the correct thin and concave profile - it is so thin it is almost translucent . The trade-off is those slight sink-marks, but these can be fixed with some Mr Surfacer (cheaper per bottle than resin aftermarket and useful for other models too) and sanding. Considering that most people will prime their flaps for the metal finish, the "Surfacer and sanding" process can be done in one. I am working on a number of improvement sets for the Mustang, but the fact making a "correction" to the flaps is so easy is the reason why I never considered the idea of issuing "aftermarket" resin flaps. 

HTH 

Radu 

I just took a look at mine and found the sink marks, I'm quite a bit disappointed. They are too deep to leave, they definitely need filling, but the real issue is that the sink marks run the length on both sides of two flaps and one side of another. That's nearly 12†of filling sink marks.

Why am I not surprised???????????

Like I said, I will wait-and-see when I get mine, but, as for Revell of Germany kits I have in my stash, unlike the Continental releases, the mass-marketed rush-release examples they send over here tend to need all the after-market fill and repair stuff the dealers delight in selling as well.

IMHO, the Japanese, Chinese and Eastern European releases are the main things that keeps my interest 

Edited by LSP_Ray
Removed content deleted from original post

Guys, we can all understand wanting to know whats what with a kit, as well as any problems with it.   I dont believe Radu is bashing anyone here, as the flap set is not necessarily a "competitor" since its not actually a kit, nor trying to compete with the complete kit. 

The flap set is only an augmentation, and can be purchased by those that want a replacement or not by those that choose to fill the Revell flaps. I personally dont think that filling sink marks on an overall very nice 1/32nd kit that is in the $20 - $30 range is that bad of a trade off, but that is only my opinion, and everyone is different.

Radu has his opinion like I have mine, like we all have our own, and the set is the set, and those that want it will choose to buy it, as it seems like a good bargain none the less for anyone that doesn't want to fill and sand the sink marks.  However, lets please keep the personal sniping out of it though. 

Radu's at the top of his game and has been blessed with talent and skill - and lucky for us he is putting his talent and skill to work in designing outstanding model kits. What I don't like is how an aftermarket producer fronts up here claiming inaccuracies and flogging *corrected* replacements... if you feel you need resin replacements buy them - if not, good for you. This Mustang kit is an engineering marvel - finally a kit designed by a modeler for modelers!!! Be happy with what you have, and want not more upon more... and beware of those who make false claims...

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria

Guys Ive just cleaned this vendors thread up a bit, including my own previous comments. This is nothing personal with any of you guys, as I respect all who posted here, including how you feel. Im simply trying to keep this thread as it was intended, to offer an AM vendors item; to be purchased or not.

Discussion about the product or the kit is fine but I dont want personal feelings to derail a vendors thread. 

So, where are the academic and scholarly claims to accuracy for the new resin flaps? If a resin replacement is going to be offered there should be scholarly sources provided.

Cheers

Alan

I don't think anyone is “required†to explain why they choose to make or buy a resin product. If someone doesn't want to buy for whatever reason, including lack of a “scholarly†source, that's up to them.

Getting back to the flaps, I don't believe there was any claim that the kit flaps were “inaccurateâ€. The word used was “deformedâ€, which implies a quality issue, not an accuracy issue. It has already been verified that there are sink marks in the kit parts. Whether there are also other issues like straightness, I'm not sure, but sink marks could fall under the “deformed†label, and may be enough of a reason for some to consider resin replacements, while others may just choose to fix the issues themselves.

So, where are the academic and scholarly claims to accuracy for the new resin flaps? If a resin replacement is going to be offered there should be scholarly sources provided.

Cheers

Alan

Not sure about that. I'd rather rely on an independent review to tell me if the parts are right, well made and suitable

Richard

Guys Ive just cleaned this vendors thread up a bit, including my own previous comments. This is nothing personal with any of you guys, as I respect all who posted here, including how you feel. Im simply trying to keep this thread as it was intended, to offer an AM vendors item; to be purchased or not.

Discussion about the product or the kit is fine but I dont want personal feelings to derail a vendors thread. 

I'm going to quote Brian here for the purposes of reinforcing his point. Kevin Martin is offering these replacement flaps for the Revell P-51D kit as a way to solve an issue he saw with sink marks. There is no accuracy context here. You can buy the parts if they're useful to you, or you can walk on by. Heck, your kit might not even have the problem they're designed to solve. If you don't want, like, or need the parts, leave this thread for the people who do.

Kev

The elephant in the room...I ordered two sets of the resin fillet tail. Solid piece, no tabs, very heavy and no clue as to how it attaches to the forward fuselage. No mounting hole for tail gear, separate gear doors and requires surgery to kit radiator duct parts. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. If you happen to have a ZM kit for the Mustang 4 try modifying the fillets tail ; higher chance of success. Expensive unless you choose to build the ZM as a -5. Could take the same approach with the TAM kit but much harder to make work.. It Revell already has the sprues for the filleted version, release as an add on. Everyone in the LHS world is convinced Revell and Revell of Germany are doomed.

Dick

Edited by Night Hog

ROG has already stated the US chapter 11 really has nothing at all to do with them, and they are business as usual, so I don't foresee any issue at all with ROG staying in business. 

The elephant in the room...I ordered two sets of the resin fillet tail. Solid piece, no tabs, very heavy and no clue as to how it attaches to the forward fuselage. No mounting hole for tail gear, separate gear doors and requires surgery to kit radiator duct parts. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. If you happen to have a ZM kit for the Mustang 4 try modifying the fillets tail ; higher chance of success. Expensive unless you choose to build the ZM as a -5. Could take the same approach with the TAM kit but much harder to make work.. It Revell already has the sprues for the filleted version, release as an add on. Everyone in the LHS world is convinced Revell and Revell of Germany are doomed.

Dick

Dick,

If you have a complaint please do address it with 109ace directly. If you purchased it from him, Im sure he can address the issue with you or can refund your money.