1/32 Polish F-16D Block 52+ (from Academy Sufa)

DoogsATX

Nice work Matt.

I just saw this report that the Academy intake sits too high?

Can you confirm this?

Curious, as I'm thinking of tackling an IAF Sufa.

574.gif

I honestly don't know and try not to care. I'm not the kind to get bent out of shape over minor, er, shape issues, at least not when the kit in question is the only way to build what I want...

Major steps last night! First, I got the entire intake assembly glue in place. 

IMG_20131203_004508_zps01f0e833.jpg

This was a major PITA! The three pieces that surround the intake aren't exactly examples of savvy engineering and a lot of fighting and swearing ensued while I fought them into general alignment. One thing I found that really helped was to make a few holes in the "triangle" in the lower fuselage to more easily weld the upper intake in place. There will still be plenty of sanding and seam-filling to come...

With the intake and gear bay installed, next up is the fuselage. Again, fit here is a PITA. There are like three points of extremely positive location - out aft, at the very back of the wingroots, and then up front. Apart from that, everything is kinda wobbly, so I'm having to proceed slowly. Last night I got the tail-to-wing joins sorted. Tonight I'll be back to hopefully get the rest of the fuselage closed. There are a lot of random forces trying to move plastic in different directions, though, so it literally requires that you hold things an exact way until the glue (I'm using MEK since it's hotter than Tenax or Tamiya Extra Thin) sets. 

IMG_20131203_004426_zps27ccda4d.jpg

IMG_20131203_004351_zps080b67e7.jpg

Hoping things will be a bit of a downhill coast after this, but we'll see!

Got the fuselage fully closed up last night. Geez, what a battle. 

Good news is, I was FINALLY able to start test fitting the flying surfaces and see this thing as an airplane.

file_zpse22d18e9.jpg

file_zps6fdd27ef.jpg

file_zps53b5981c.jpg

The wings and tail look to be far easier to deal with than the fuselage halves, so hopefully I'm past the worst with this build. Well, except for all the seam cleanup...

Not too much to report...spent most of last night swearing at the Me 262 and swearing at my Wolfpack JDAMs, which arrived from Sprue Bros. with some very fragile vanes broken off. The Sniper pod looks awesome, though.

But...I did get a start on the two massive external tanks. These things are probably bigger than some 1/48 prop kits I've built. 

IMG_20131205_230734_zpsyf5ttoou.jpg