1/35 UH-1C Gunship- DONE!!!

Hey Carl!

How are you?  We haven't heard from you in a while!  I hope all is well.  :)  Im looking forward to your Huey progress my friend!  I'm building a D model from DML and it would be great to see a few more Hueys done for the group build. 

all the best,

Paul 

Hi Paul,

Thanks for checking on me and my build. I got really frustrated with the PE for the seat belts. You have to cut apart the kit seats and then attach new PE side panels. Then add styrene rod for the legs and get it all lined up without it collapsing under its own weight. Well, I went through my stash at my parents' house and found a possible solution:

IMG_20140908_211954.jpg

This way I won't have to fuss with the belts since the seats will be occupied. Then it was how to re-do the pilot and co-pilot's seats and my LHS had the answer to that:

IMG_20140908_210732.jpg

This wasn't there last time I visited so I'm not sure if the kit is back out as I know some folks have been having a hard time finding a copy. The best part is it was less than the original version. 

I'm going to save what I can from the first kit and get back on this now that I've cleared a bit of space off my workbench.

Carl

Excellent News Carl!

I have the C "frog" Version I picked up in a generous trade  from Martin.  I have extra crew members if you need anything else. I'm going to send you a PM about one of yours.

Glad to see you back on this one! 

Paul  

I will be sticking to the M-134 miniguns on the fuselage mounts as that's the way I've always liked the look of the Huey. Probably because the first time I remember seeing them was on the Hueys in the 1976 re-make of King Kong (ducks for cover).

Here are the Live Resin replacement barrels that I will be using:

006-6.jpg

Since you only get one of each, I needed to get two sets for the build. Here is the contents of one set.

009-8.jpg

You'll notice that two of the barrels have a one piece or two piece option. The one piece options don't have individual barrels inside the flash suppressor. This is the one I need for my build:

010-9.jpg

It's not a great pic, but it shows the kit barrel assembly (3 pieces) above the Live Resin barrel attached to the motor.

7cffdd3c-6ee3-444a-828b-526113d334bc.jpg

Lastly, here's a link with a video showing just how much firepower these miniguns have:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/miniguns-in-hd-at-dusk-look-like-lead-laser-cannons-1624668715

Carl

So here is some progress on my build. With the new pilot and copilot seats on hand, I assembled and installed those in the front section. I then painted the engine bay Interior Green and installed the engine and transmission. You won't see much if any of either except through the mesh on the engine panels.

IMG_20140912_210517.jpg

Thanks Paul and Teresa!

Getting over the seat problem has made it easier for me to be motivated about the build. Of course we're going on vacation on Monday for 2 weeks so there won't be much happening until I get back. But at least I have a desire to finish it now :)

Carl