Heritage Aviation 1:24th Lancaster

chadders

Hi guys, I've been lurking round these parts for a few years but this is my first post, and I thought I would share with you a project that I'm planning on working on in dribs and drabs over the next few years. It has previously been posted on Britmodeller, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt posting here, due to the size!!

I recently took leave of my senses, partook of some open wallet surgery, and purchased one of Heritage Aviations stunning 1:24th Avro Lancasters. For those who have not had the pleasure of seeing one of these models, you basicly get everything you need to build a big Lanc on 3 large sheets of white vac form plastic, with transparancies on a further 2 sheets, and a box full of resin and white metal for all the smaller stuff. You also get a very nicely printed set of decals, and some instructions.

These models have no panel lines nor interia detail, so its all to be scratch built and scribed. Now this is he reason I bought one. Its not something that I'm going to build in one go. Its more of something that I can go back to from time to time, and have a good time testing my skills and learning new ones as I go.

I've never built a vac form before, so his is probably not the best kit to start with, but I have a test subject in the form of a Maintrack Have Blue in 1:72nd scale, that I got at SMW after longing for one for many years, so I'll practice on that one first. However, I have cut the fusalage halves from the backing sheet. Just to prove the fact that I have started it, here's a picture. The small gray thing on the lower of the two halves in a 1:72nd Lanc to give you an idea of the sheer size of the model.

101_0623.jpg

Now then, I actually have a plan of attack. Now the fusalage halves are separated, I'll now cut away the main canopy, and get that area looking right. Once thats done, I can use that area as a datum for the rest of the build. So this bit has got to be right otherwise its going to throw the rest of the build out. One thing that is guaranteed is the fact that I'm going to mess things up somewhere along the line, but the benefit of these kits is that nothing isn't fixable (although the canopy is a one shot deal, and I'm parping my pants that I don't arse that up!!), its just a case of adding plastic here, and there, sanding, filling, checking, checking again, still cutting in the wrong place, adding plastic etc etc......well you get the picture

While I was working out suitable datum points that I use to base my measurements on, I was finding that all my vertical measurements were coming up between 8mm and 13mm too short. Also when looking at the model from the front showed that the bomb aimers blister appature was very flat on the side. Add to this the fact that when measuring the depth from the top of the fusalage to the bomb bay "hinge" line, the line was was between 7mm and 9mm too low, I decided to partake of a little surgery. I cut the lower half of the nose way, half way up the bomb aimers appature. I made a vertical cut on the new forward line of the bomb bay (I thought this was 4mm too far back). I then cut a "v" wedge out of the top of the part I'd removed tapering from 1mm to 7mm front to back. When I glued this part back in, it had the effect of pulling the bomb aimers appature back to a more pleaseing shape, while giving the correct fusalage measurement at the front of the bomb bay.

101_0627.jpg

Other work done is as follows. The front turret appature has been removed, but the cut line was moved 4mm aft. The cockpit appature has been cut out and sanded to shape, and the bomb bay door has been removed (Go on tell me I'm mad...............I'm going to try and scratch build a bomb bay )

101_0625.jpg

I have completed the remodelling of one fuselage half. It didn't all go to plan, mainly due to my modelling pratness. For example, I needed to reduce the depth of the rear edge of the bomb bay. So I set about measuring, checked it, measured again, then cut off the top of the fuselage instead of the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, after I put that bit back I cut away the right bit and made all the necessary adjustments and all is good. I need to strenghthen the fusalage somehow, and I also need toget some filler on the part to smooth everything out, but the shape is now where I wanted it. The biggest problem now is that I have to do it again on the other half, lol!!

Anyway, more photographic proof that I do do some plastic bashing occasionally,

Here we have a shot of the work thats been done. Front end has been reduced in depth by 9mm, pulling up the bomb bay, then the rear has been reduced by 7mm at the bomb bay thru to 13mm at the rear turret. No window or door appatures yet, and I need to measure out for the wings and tail, before I start scribing in panal lines.

101_0629.jpg

This photo shows the comparison between the reshaped part, and the original

101_0632.jpg

Like I said at the beginning, this is going to be a secondary build, that I go back to as and when. Main build planned over the next few months are the Revell F-4F "50th Anniversary" Phantom, and the Trumpeter Eurofighter, they may take up a bit of time especially as I'm only just starting modelling in the larger scales (after 35 years in 1:72nd country), but I'll keep you updated when I can,

Cheers,

Mark

:DodgeBall: :wub:

I recently took leave of my senses, partook of some open wallet surgery, and purchased one of Heritage Aviations stunning 1:24th Avro Lancasters.

Mark

Welcome aboard, you should fit right in!

• 7 years later...