Revell P-51 wheels up

Bstarr3

Having just finished my Mossie, I'm on to a quicker build. I'm doing the new Mustang wheels up with a pilot figure - old school! I may even hang it from the ceiling!

After my long term project, I'm doing this with no aftermarket, no scratch building. The only thing not out of the box is the Tamiya pilot figure, generously donated by David66.

Anyway, here's some shots of the cockpit underway. I know the plywood is supposed to be overpainted in black, but I'm just leaving it as is since the pilot is going to take up most of the space in there anyway.

20180320_003204.jpg

20180320_003212.jpg

20180320_003217.jpg

20180320_003230.jpg

The IP decal is actually really nice right OOB. Snugs down into the detail beautifully. There are a nice set of placard decals as well.

Looking good!   I plan on doing this exact same thing with my CM F7F kit, and turning into a What-if Reno Unlimited.    Not enough wheels up builds!   Looking forward to more progress..................do you have a scheme in mind yet?

Here is a tip that will save yourself some grief.

1. File down all all the slots that the cockpit halves go into, the biggest issue with the whole assembly is that once painted and assembled, its about .020 too wide, which throws off the canopy and windscreen. Also, test fit all the canopy clear parts, dont be surprised if you need to shim the windscreen up and out, and the canopy out.   

2. Don't paint, just glue all the internal pieces into the wings, without paint, you should get a really good fit. 

3. Check for sink marks on the landing gear doors, trailing edges of the upper wings, and the flaps.

4. Make sure to spend some time fitting the tail halves to the fuselage, you will have to do some sanding and filling. You will also have to fill the entire seam along the fuselage halves. 

As long as you know the issues beforehand and are not surprised by them it should go very quickly. I still plan on building a couple more, as this is a very good looking finished model, but the one I back-ordered in December has still not shipped.

Looking good! I plan on doing this exact same thing with my CM F7F kit, and turning into a What-if Reno Unlimited. Not enough wheels up builds! Looking forward to more progress..................do you have a scheme in mind yet?

In keeping with my straight OOB theme, I'm going to do good ol Lou IV. I can't decide if I feel like tweaking people by doing it in OD/blue instead of OD/medium green

1. File down all all the slots that the cockpit halves go into, the biggest issue with the whole assembly is that once painted and assembled, its about .020 too wide, 

Only, as I keep banging on, mine wasn't!

Richard

1. File down all all the slots that the cockpit halves go into, the biggest issue with the whole assembly is that once painted and assembled, its about .020 too wide, which throws off the canopy and windscreen. Also, test fit all the canopy clear parts, dont be surprised if you need to shim the windscreen up and out, and the canopy out.   

Speak for yourself.

Like I said on the other thread, mine went on without any problem. Can't understand why some people insist on dissing the Revell kit.

3528_D2_F2_AA9_C_4_C75_908_D_2_A0_CBC44_

Speak for yourself.

Like I said on the other thread, mine went on without any problem. Can't understand why some people insist on dissing the Revell kit.

3528_D2_F2_AA9_C_4_C75_908_D_2_A0_CBC44_

I dont think he was dissing the kit at all. AAMOF, he clearly states he likes the finished model, and plans on building more. It sounds just more like he is stating what a lot of folks have found, that sometimes the cockpit if built up with paint, and/or not sanded properly can potentially interfere with fuselage fit. 

I think the kit fits just fine, but care will have to be taken on the internals to keep that on track. Its obviously not perfect, but as your build, and other builds show, it can be made to fit well, and by the few Ive seen built, turns out to be a very nice looking model.

Ive got custom 357 FG paint masks ready to go for my copy.

It definitely looks like some, but not all, people have had fit issues.  I will carefully dry fit to make sure whether any modifications are necessary or not.  I have noticed, as was mentioned in another thread, that the clear parts have some unevenness that affects their transparency. I'm not too upset about it for a $25 kit. 

In keeping with my straight OOB theme, I'm going to do good ol Lou IV. I can't decide if I feel like tweaking people by doing it in OD/blue instead of OD/medium green

I'll be doing Lou IV in the blue/OD.  Dana sent me his Hi-Res scan (higher res than what he posted on the threads) and that is a really helpful photo reference.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

Chris

I will carefully dry fit to make sure whether any modifications are necessary or not.

Do! You'll find there are several places where nothing seems to fit, then parts click into place

Richard