Painting exhaust stains & gun port stoof

Sparzanza

Exhaust stains are actually pretty complex when you dig into them. Typically, richer mixtures are darker and sootier, leaner mixtures have much more white/grey/beige in it. The fuel quality, type of fuel, timing, engine type, etc can give different shades as well, even tans or browns.

The best way is to look at period photos of the aircraft your modeling.

C

As long as it looks like exhaust stains it'll do for me. :)

I can't seem to find any good pictures of a filthy Hurricane though. Google gives me nothing. I even included "filthy" in the search and got.. well something completely irrelevant. Guess I'll have to watch more BoB.

I can't seem to find any good pictures of a filthy Hurricane though. Google gives me nothing. I even included "filthy" in the search and got.. well something completely irrelevant. Guess I'll have to watch more BoB.

I think if you want to see filthy Hurricanes, you have to search for "BooB".

Kev

Haha, thanks Martin! I meant the undersides though. I always seem to forget to be a bit more specific. I'm basically just thinking loud in my posts. ;) But yeah, thanks. It's a bit more clear now how the stains runs alongside the plane!

Edited by Sparzanza

I figured I'd bump this thread in hope of an answer for a question I asked in my Hurricane build thread. Not many people bother looking at my crappy W.I.P, so perhaps I'd have more luck in LSP discussion! ;) Here goes!

Does anyone know what colour the machinegun compartments in the wings are supposed to be? The instructions says Humbrol 78, which is basically cockpit green.. but that's what it said about the wheelwells as well, which was in fact aluminium, according to many builds and reference pictures. So I'm a bit confuzzled.

I have only found one image on google, and that shows the gun bay to be aluminium.. but it also shows the barrels of the actual machine guns to be aluminium as well, so I'm not sure about the accuracy.