Peashooter Photos

RBrown

What a beautiful little bird!! I love those things - I wish they would have continued the practice of colorful markings during WW2. It's sorta like giving the enemy the one fingered salute! "I'm right here, so I dare you to come get me!!"

Edit: here are a couple of screenshots of my P-38F from the flight sim game I play online. I earned a special paint job as reward for a mission, and I liked it so much I keep it on my plane. Can you imagine a P-38 painted like this in combat? Lotsa fun!!

shot_013_zps7ggpbics.jpg

shot_012_zps1rsyhivr.jpg

Edited by BiggTim

Thanks for the great detail shots. I could hope for a few shots of the cockpit, but they always get nervous when you get too close to the plane, and you probably would have needed to climb up on the wing to see it well. Hence the little ropes saying "Stand Back".

I really appreciate the great photos you posted. When I photographed the one at the Smithsonian, it was too far away for great detail, and you seem to have been right up close and personal. Nice.

Tnarg

By the way, that P-38 color scheme is great, too.

One question. Did you happen to get a close up of the metal data plate for the OLEO gear servicing, seen high up on the inside LH wheel pant in image 3900? That same data plate shows up on F4B-4 aircraft and possibly other Boeing planes of the era. I'd love to get some of those in decal or photo etched metal at 1/32 scale, but what would hold the resolution required?

Thanks again for some really fine detail shots.

Tnarg

One question. Did you happen to get a close up of the metal data plate for the OLEO gear servicing, seen high up on the inside LH wheel pant in image 3900? That same data plate shows up on F4B-4 aircraft and possibly other Boeing planes of the era. I'd love to get some of those in decal or photo etched metal at 1/32 scale, but what would hold the resolution required?

Sorry Tnarg, I did not even know about it until I read your post.  Next time I'll look for it.

Rob