Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair

KitmodellerNZ

Nice looking Corsair!

How did you like mixing the Tamiya acrylics? The colours look pretty good. Would you do it again, or try a different paint?

Cheers

david

Thanks David. I really enjoy using the Tamiya Acrylics and use them on all my builds. They're good value for money here in NZ compared to some of the other options available. I'm always open to trying new products though. 

Fantastic work.  I really like the chipping, it looks very realistic.  How did you do it?

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I first applied a coat of Mr Metal aluminium followed by a coat of clear. Then I applied AK Interactive Worn Effects followed by a custom mix of zinc chromate. After letting it dry for about 30 mins, I wet the surface and used a toothpick and brush to scrub/scratch through the top coat to reveal areas of the aluminium. I then applied another clear coat and a custom coat of dark sea blue. I also followed this by wetting the surface again and scrubbing/scratching through to reveal areas of the zinc chromate and aluminium. This gives the effect of multi layer chipping. Props to Doog's Models for his excellent reference on how to achieve this effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys!

I'm currently working on Trumpeter's TBM-3 Avenger. I am also doing this in an RNZAF scheme 'Plonky'. Funny thing is, the RNZAF only operated the TBF, but Tim Wallis had his restored TBM painted in this same scheme. I will be finishing mine in a fairly weathered state though. http://kiwimodeller.com/index.php/forum/38-follow-as-i-build/32247-trumpeter-1-32-tbm-3-avenger