• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Mike

Magic Mike

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:33 PM

How about it? An antenna set for the A-6B Intruder? You have the ARMs already, now we need the antennae and the cockpit mods. I think it would be a good release. decals are out there for each version of the B. 

Some great research here...

http://tailspintopic...-iron-hand.html

MM

• harvey likes this

#2 Daniel Leduc

Daniel Leduc

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:36 AM

Oh yeah, ......

Dan.

Not bad for a Cabochon....

output_EfpzVh_zps33d09002.gif

#3 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

You don't really need a conversion set to do the VA-52 Kitty Hawk PAT/ARM featured on the Zotz sheet. The mods to the cockpit are so insignificant even in 1/32 that they are not worth worrying about.
VA-165 PAT/ARM A-6B:
PICTURE LINK REMOVED AS PB NO LONGER EFFECTIVE

I am unaware of any decals for the AN/APS-118 TIAS version, which used Mod 1 STARM. That's the "pimpled" arrangement in Tommy's blog. It was only ever flown operationally at sea by VA-34 Blue Blasters on the Kennedy, 1971-72 & 1973; VA-35 Black Panthers worked up with them at Oceana in 1972 but did not deploy with them, taking A-6C TRIM jets as extras instead. (Incidentally, those TRIM beasts featured a laser by that time and would make a great subject *if* the parts *and* decals was available.)
VA-34 Mod 1 TIAS:

That leaves the original Mod 0/0-update version with the nasal and tail elevator antennae, which is the set to do. AOA decals have one Marine option for this and other decals are very close if you change the tail BuNo. It was used by a lot of units between 1968 and 1974.
Gary's done similar antenna for the Weasel IV-C Phantom set, but it needs a new cockpit IP, pedestal, tips for the UHT/stabilators and ALQ-100 DECM proboscis for the outer wing pylons, to replace the anaemic kit ones. Harold does those IIRC but they need to all be in "one set".
VA-75 Mod 0/0-update:

Regardless, you will need Gary's Shrikes and Standard ARM missiles and launch rails.

Tony

edited to remove ineffective PB links

Edited by Tony T, 15 October 2017 - 10:45 AM.

• Daniel Leduc likes this
Finally spraying again

#4 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

AOA decals have one Marine option for this and other decals are very close if you change the tail BuNo

Two A-6B options actually, there's also a VA-196 mod 0 also on the sheet. And as you mentioned, VA-165 decals are provided for their A's and a 165 A-6B can easily be made.

#5 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Yes Steve, apologies. Forgot about the VA-196 Main Battery option which is actually a really good one -

- read "Flight of the Intruder" peeps if you want some inspiration!

Note that the Mod 0/0-update "missile birds" also were used for Elint and ASW. VA-75 used STD ARMs as sensors to track "pings" from echo-sounding sonobuoys dropped from the outboard pylons, paving techniques for S-3A Viking ops a couple of years later.

The plain tail VMA(AW)-224 Bengals option in the AOA sheet could also be adorned with the full tail markings, using little artistic licence.

Also note that there existed a dozen AN/AWG-21 A-6Es which were STD ARM capable, circa 1975-1986, and after the missile was withdrawn (rocket motors etc past its use-by date) used a cut-down inert version known as the STARM pod for Elint duties.

Will post a pic during an edit

Tony
  • Luca and harvey like this
Finally spraying again

#6 ghatherly

ghatherly

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Hey Guys,  Great Conversation!

And the answer is no.....Sorry.    What I am doing is making the Shrike and the STD (  March Release) for the A-6.    Since many of the same sensors were used on the C Weasel as were used on the intruder,   I will sell that strip of Resin parts if that will help the Intruder builders out.   Right now we are so busy with the items we do make and the new items for this year that what i have outlined here is the best I can do for the foreseeable  future.      I could also do a coulee of Azimuth scopes for the instrument panel.   What else si needed,  the wing tip sensors and what else? 

Tony,   Can you put together a drawing of the intruder that shows the location of the C weasel parts, where they go, and does that allow for the decals produced to be utilized?

• Daniel Leduc and harvey like this

Many Thanks, Gary

email:   garyhatherly@gtresinproducts.com.      Web Site:   www.gtresinproducts.com

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.” John 1:1-4

dd34971d-1dff-4d25-b610-dddb8f8ab69c_zps

#7 Darren Howie

Darren Howie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:47 AM

Great idea Gazza be grabbing a pile of Standards so count me in for the antennas to!

#8 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

This is the STARM pod, used as an Elint device in the mid-late '80s

Gary,

I passed you what I had some time ago, but can resend. If you go to Tommy's blog - link posted at the top of this thread - he's annotated photos with antenna location and type very clearly.

Steve and I have already outlined what decals are available, as follows:
A-6B Mod 0/0-update (also called Mod 0/1) -AOA sheet markings for VMA(AW)-224 and VA-196
A-6B PAT/ARM - Zotz sheet VA-52, and AOA sheet markings for VA-165 if numbers modded. No conv. needed, just missiles + decals
A-6B APS-118 TIAS (also called Mod 1) - nada

HTH

Tony

edited to remove ineffective PB link

Edited by Tony T, 15 October 2017 - 10:46 AM.

• Luca likes this
Finally spraying again

#9 Magic Mike

Magic Mike

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:59 PM

Gary...
I think that is a great idea! I think if someone wanted to do the version with all of the bumps on the nose they could do that on their own.

MM

#10 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

You don't really need a conversion set to do the VA-52 Kitty Hawk PAT/ARM featured on the Zotz sheet. The mods to the cockpit are so insignificant even in 1/32 that they are not worth worrying about.
VA-165 PAT/ARM A-6B:

Hi Tony, your pic is not visible (can you reattach please?). So, cockpit apart, what are the mods to do externally to get a correct VA-52 A-6B pat/arm on the Zotz sheet? many thanks.

#11 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

Hi Tony, your pic is not visible (can you reattach please?). So, cockpit apart, what are the mods to do externally to get a correct VA-52 A-6B pat/arm on the Zotz sheet? many thanks.

Sorry, my Photobucket portfolio is no more. All images have gone as I demilitarise my files.

The PAT/ARM cockpit changes were so visually minor I wouldn't be concerned - just build it as an A.

From memory, the only external changes were the missile rails and, of course, the Shrike and STD ARM missiles (though by the late 1960s As could use Shrikes also).

HTH

Tony
  • Luca and Harold like this
Finally spraying again

#12 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

The PAT/ARM cockpit changes were so visually minor I wouldn't be concerned - just build it as an A.

:speak_cool:

From memory, the only external changes were the missile rails and, of course

you mean the STD ARM launchers? ciao

Edited by Luca, 15 October 2017 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

:speak_cool:
you mean the STD ARM launchers? ciao

Both ARMs had specific missile launchers, but to be 100% accurate VA-52 in 1972 used the older Aero whotsit for Shrikes with the boxier sway brace bits on it, made from fibreglass IIRC.

As here, STD ARM missile in top pic, A-6B showing Shrike launcher in bottom pic...
https://www.navysite...cv63-72/111.htm

And the E-for-excellence tail pennants added to the rudders...
https://www.navysite...cv63-73/158.htm

Cheers

Tony

edited to add links

Edited by Tony T, 15 October 2017 - 01:08 PM.

• Luca likes this
Finally spraying again

#14 Luca

Luca

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Both ARMs had specific missile launchers, but to be 100% accurate VA-52 in 1972 used the older Aero whotsit for Shrikes with the boxier sway brace bits on it, made from fibreglass IIRC.

As here, STD ARM missile in top pic, A-6B showing Shrike launcher in bottom pic...
https://www.navysite...cv63-72/111.htm

wow great pics thanks. That launcher is a LAU-34 (Shrike) not a LAU-77 (Standard Arm), right?

So would it be a fake historical building a VA-52 A-6B with the LAU-77 launchers? (anyway, in the top pic, we can't see the pylons/launchers, so the bottom pic could be a different BuNo.)

Again, GTR standard missile only include the -77 launcher... so we should get the -34 launcher from somewhere else (where?)

Edited by Luca, 15 October 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#15 Tony T

Tony T

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

The LAU-77 type launcher was used inboard with the AGM-78

The outboard pylon Shrike launcher is not a LAU-34; it's an Aero-something which was a metal and fibreglass version of the more commonly seen all-metal Aero-whatsit. I would use the regular Navy Aero-whatsit as VA-52 probably had those too.

Tony
  • Luca likes this
Finally spraying again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users