1/32nd Revell Spitfire Mk.IX- Converted into a Mk.VIII, of 79 Sqn RAAF

Big Tony

One heck of a lovely model Tony - I think you've caught that worn white finish to an absolute tee! 

How'd you find the rivet detail on the Revel MkIX - their MkII is quite ‘pronounced' in places especially on the fuselage sides?

Torben

Big Tony,

That's impressive.

Well done that man!

The carb air intake looks a little blunt, molded that way or missing it's lip?

Salute!

Thank you,.....I agree,..it is a bit blunt and one of the sloppier parts of the kit, I should have filed it down. I was expecting a separate lip part too. 

Cheers

Tony

Very very nice :goodjob: ; inspiration to get my recently-purchased example on the go.  But I will ask: "Flap lever a bit ... sticky was it, Sir?" ;)

I knew that I would get flak for the flaps,.....but I like them down and some Spits were parked up that way,....

sptfre-64.jpg

TrentonSpitfire_zps2407bed0.jpg

Drinks in the mess methinks!!

I should really have opened up the flap indicator on the top of the wing too,.....but I basically couldn`t be bothered and when I have done this before I always end up losing the scratch built `flap' when I dust the model!

Edited by Big Tony

One heck of a lovely model Tony - I think you've caught that worn white finish to an absolute tee! 

How'd you find the rivet detail on the Revel MkIX - their MkII is quite ‘pronounced' in places especially on the fuselage sides?

Torben

Thanks Torben,.....the overall surface detail on the model was very nice although the `rivets' on the rear fuselage were slightly larger than those on the wings. As a whole I think that it was OK,....compared with my Mk.II, which I converted into a Mk.I (seen below),....I think that the surface detail is about the same;

DSCF2472_zps526a7b0a.jpg

Edited by Big Tony

Very nice mate, although the pilot's name was Norm Smithells. Dad knew him through Legacy out here, he was a nice guy. He passed away a couple of years ago. Also the decal sheet is wrong on the colour of the elephant; it was bright pink, not grey.

Very nice mate, although the pilot's name was Norm Smithells. Dad knew him through Legacy out here, he was a nice guy. He passed away a couple of years ago. Also the decal sheet is wrong on the colour of the elephant; it was bright pink, not grey.

Thanks Brad,......Norm changed his name by deedpoll while home on leave in July 1945 as he never got on with his father. He was legally Turnbull until August 1945 when he became Norman Smithells. I wanted to use the name that he used while flying this aircraft. As for the elephant,....Norm himself stated when asked what colour the elephant was that it was  "grey like any other bloody elephant"! I doubt if he would have appreciated a pink elephant!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Big Tony

Interesting, didn't know he changed his name as dad always knew him as Smithells. As for the colour, I've always seen and read it as being pink, I have no colour picture though to prove one way or another, but I'm always cautious of memories.

Hi Tony -

A magnificent and inspirational build in every respect! I'm confident what you've done with this one will result in the sale of more than a few kits for Revell... I know I'll be getting at least one after seeing your results.

Thanks for sharing.   :clap2:

Cheers!

John.

Edited by Leaning_Dog

Interesting, didn't know he changed his name as dad always knew him as Smithells. As for the colour, I've always seen and read it as being pink, I have no colour picture though to prove one way or another, but I'm always cautious of memories.

Remember that this is one of the aircraft that Pentland decided was painted in the special mix two tone green scheme. It is possible that he also decided at the time that the elephant would be pink, as I think he painted it on his artwork. I know that PTM was never in agreement with the two tone green idea, and such was also confirmed by Norm when we visited him way back when