The tale of a Comet, Airfix 72nd scale dH-88 racer

geedubelyer

That last pair of photos is just stunning. Gorgeous build, expertly done.

Kev

Thanks Kev, glad you like it. Later in the year I might take a few more in direct sunlight. It's been my experience that full sunshine often helps with the look.

I just picked this kit up, sadly mine is a nightmare of short shots and poor molding.

Yep, that's par for the course I'm afraid Shawn. I had wanted to build this for some time but had a look in the box at a LHS and put it back. Finally I bit the bullet and I'm glad I did but I won't sugar coat it, it's no walk in the park. It is a pretty aeroplane and probably worth putting a little ffort in for a reasonable result  so good luck with yours.

Beautiful!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, glad you like it.

Nice! Indeed it looks lovely!

I had the Marsh 32nd kit, but traded it for something I really wanted to build

Thanks for the kind words Brian. I thought the Aerotech kit that Eric is buildign was the only game in town for 1/32nd scale? Is the Marsh kit vac-form or resin?

I have to admit to a growing fondness for this type. I had a brief search on-line for plans but did n't turn anything up. Perhaps the Comet is available in 1/33rd scale card model? Hmmm, bares further investigation.

That is a beautiful model of a lovely airplane! 

I am surprised to see just how rough the kit actually seems to be, but your solutions are amazing :)

Hi Willy, thanks for the generous comments. I'm tempted to do another and try to break it down into bite-sized chunks that an aftermarket resin manufacturer could cast. I suspect the undercarriage would be a challenge but everythign else feels do-able.

I'd better sleep on it.

Cheers guys.

Edited by geedubelyer

The Marsh Model aircraft models are sold under the Aerotech name. They are all the same kit.

As for this build, it really shows master modeling at work. This is not the dreaded "kit assembler" process that some like to deride. To each his own, but this definitely shows some amazing skill. Thanks for the show and some tips in construction usable for any kit out there.

Tnarg