A slightly more modern RAF type

since the emphasis seems to be on WWII and earlier , i thought I'd have a go with something a little more modern -

I'm working on a Revell Mk6 Hunter -built pretty well OOB, although there may be a Resin seat , other than straight OOB - markings look like being 12 Squadron from 1988 - wrap round Low Vis green/grey - used while the Bucs were grounder for corrosion issues. (Xtradecals sheet from a few years back)

Pics to follow - this is my second attempt at a Hunter - hopefully I'll finish this one!

Hello Scotsman,

I was really expecting someone to build a Hunter since the first day as it is a very popular jet I think.

It is also good to have the Hawker serie to continue after the Huricane, Typhoon and Tempest...

This being a Hawker aircraft... can anyone tell if those wheel wells are supposed to be IG or silver ?!?! :rolleyes:

Welcome on board!

Cheers,

Loic

thanks guys -

I was all set to shoot some pics of the pit last night - but by the time I'd finished the fusalage was together , and one of the wings was in place - damm it builds fast - I promise some pics this week tho'!

As for the u/C Bays - I painted mine with alclad - and then hit it with a nice thick tamiya Smoke wash to add depth - looks ok to my less then discriminating eye !

Now with added pics .....

hunter001.jpg

Fusalage - pardon the washed out look - the flash is harsh , and plastic pale!

hunter02.jpg

The U/C bays - using the Alclad/Tamiya smoke trick

hunter003.jpg

A rather poor one of the seat that's going into to her - its from the True Details sat , and was painted for a hunter I built , but gave up on a a while ago

hunter05.jpg

The wing/fusalage joint looks a little rough - I'm dealing with it - ;)

No real trick as such , just prime using alclad primer - then a couple of decent coats of Alclad aluminium, leave to dry , and then thin down some Tamiya Smoke acrylic and paint on using a nice wide brush - It pops out the details beautifully , and gives a nice sheen to the metallic finish

I stumpled on it back when I was working on my first hunter

This might give you a better idea of way is looks - these are the hunter main U/C doors

hunter6.jpg

Again its a little washed out - flash photography and NMF really don't work well together - but I think you get the idea

So it's really like a standard wash, but using Tamiya Smoke instead of, well, something else ( ;) ). Great idea, and the results look great! I've had a hard time in the past working out how best to wash and dirty up NM finishes, so I'll definitely be giving this technique a go.

Kev

some progress on my part .. painting .. Tje 12 Sq scheme is a wrapround version of the standard Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green scheme - and hard edged to boot, so ok , Out came the masking tape , and a LOT of swearing then ensued - as my good lady wife will atest to ..... ;)

Anyay basic paint first Dark Sea Grey - or if you prefer Humbrol 146

hunterproject013.jpg

(bonus shot of the tip I call a work bench!

hunterproject016.jpg

Lots of masking

hunterproject017.jpg

The end result

hunterproject019.jpg

hunterproject020.jpg

To be honest i'm not that happy with the pattern , its really not "fiddly " enough .. so more masking/ spraying may well ensue ... ;)

For those who say A) do it freehand ob :rolleyes: use blue Tack ... Ok , but my pics ofthe Hunters show very tight paint demarcation , and i'm Really not that good with an airbrush!

I reckon you're nailing this one beautifully Scotsman! I think I know what you mean when you say the camo pattern is not 'fiddly' enough, but I still think it looks pretty good.

Kev