Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Best of luck to you!  I hope you will do a full WIP, as I would love to follow it!

I am constantly tempted by one of these 1/200 Battleships....in my case I would be torn between the Arizona and the Iowa.  I am just not sure I have a sufficient attention span to ever finish it.  I have followed a few build threads of these beasts, and they involve a ton of pretty tedious work, particularly with aftermarket brass involved.

Bryan, I'm with you. I have toyed with the idea of building a 200th something floating, not sure what. But thats a dream for another time........Harv

Great project, Iain, and you're most definitely not alone in your passion for the big ship models. It looks like a colossal undertaking, but I believe that you're up to it. The Warship Pictorial publication on the Hood is also very much worth having, if you were not already aware. I long to build the 1:200 Yamato, but have never summoned the courage to just go ahead and buy the kit.

I can't find the pictures from our model classic show last  year but we had not one by TWO USS Missouri that had to be about that size.  They were longer than I am tall.  You have a MASSIVE project there but I'm looking forward to following along.  But I have to tell you, all that PE?  I'd never make it.  WOW...

I long to build the 1:200 Yamato, but have never summoned the courage to just go ahead and buy the kit.

Are you referring to the Nichimo kit?  The Yamato is the ultimate battleship, and if there was a modern kit I would be all over it.  But isn't the Nichimo kit OOP, expensive on Ebay, and kind of a poor/not to modern standards kit?

Are you referring to the Nichimo kit?  The Yamato is the ultimate battleship, and if there was a modern kit I would be all over it.  But isn't the Nichimo kit OOP, expensive on Ebay, and kind of a poor/not to modern standards kit?

Yes, the Nichimo kit. I've actually seen them for what I believe is a reasonable cost, but yes, it's perhaps a bit long in the tooth now, and not a tremendous amount of AM available for it either, though certainly some. If a new state of the art Yamato or Musashi kit came out, I'd have to very seriously consider selling off a few kits so that I could grab one. With the Yamato class outweighing the Iowa class by about five thousand tons, it was indeed a beast.

Hope you don't mind if I tag along, I'm just about ready to start the Airfix 1/400 HMS HOOD, Just had paint delivered from sovereign hobbies and currently looking for a wooden deck, but I'm not too hopeful of finding one, No PE for me either as I'm just using this as a staring block to get in to ships.

But I doff my cap to you for taking this one on!

Edited by allyby

God.  Where to begin?  I wonder how many man-hours it took the team to put together the model for the promotional shoot?

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37

Crikey - really didn't think there'd be much interest!

As a bit of an 'in progress' (but no assembly yet), one of the 'issues' with the Trumpeter kit is the funnels: they should both have the same dimensions but the rear, as moulded, is too thin in profile.

I was going to copy the forward one in RTV Rubber and cast a resin copy, but Trumpeter had some spare Funnel sprues up on AliExpress for US $7.00 each - so I've purchased the extra sprue and it's now sat in the box.

In an unusual case of serendipity, UK importers Sovereign Models were able to arrange with Pontos for the supply of some sets with 2 x the relevant etched frets to cover same-sized funnels if requested, rather than the standard large and small to match the Trumpeter kit parts - so that's what I ordered. I believe pretty much all of their orders have been for this permutation.

As said earlier, the project really scares and excites me in equal measure - but I like working with photo-etch and, if I'm going to ever do something like this it ought to be sooner rather than later - eyesight doesn't generally improve with age! Oh, and, yes, I have some very decent magnifier lamps at hand  :)

Now wondering if I should go *really* mad and source some crew figures?

Iain

Oooh - thanks for that!

Maybe a little 'flat' in 1:200 though - but a lot quicker than painting a pile of resin ones. Will have a ponder...

These got my attention. Trumpeter also do some USN figures. In 1:200 a change of colours would be good enough to re-purpose I think - maybe with a swipe of the sanding stick to modify their caps...

Will be some time before figures are needed (if I go that route) so there may be a Royal Navy specific set by then.

Iain

1/200 FIGURES??  These are like 2mm wide at best. No no no no no!  I got into 1/32 scale aircraft as the parts were large enough for me to see.  This is going in completely the opposite direction, but I EAGERLY await the builds being mentioned here. :popcorn: Fabulous subjects, plus, I don't have any room to put them on display when I'd be done.  My display case is not even as wide as the box!

With the Yamato class outweighing the Iowa class by about five thousand tons, it was indeed a beast.

I think even more than that.....

I used to be sort of a battleship nerd, and the Iowas were designed and built to comply with the Washington Treaty on capital ships which limited them to 45,000 tons displacement.  I think they got heavier with retrofits when the war started, but initially it was taken very seriously to comply with the treaty.  The Yamato and Musashi were built in secret and in violation of the Washington Treaty, and I think they were both nearly 70,000 tons as designed and completed.

The Montana Class battleship was designed once it was realized the treaty was no longer being honored, and it was to be a ship in the size class of the Yamatos, with 4 main gun turrets of 3 16"/50 guns each and displacement of nearly 70,000 tons.  But none were completed nor I think even started because by then it was recognized the battleship was obsolete.

On top of all that, the 18" guns on the Yamatos are reason enough to build one!  I wonder if we wait long enough Trumpeter will do it in 1/200...?  If I was going to invest that time and money I would definitely want to start with the best kit possible.

Edited by Bryan