Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

All that PE is so intimidating ... there has to be over a pound of it! Can't wait to see you put this together Iain (not that you have permission to go slow on your Connie).

Jim

Yeah...I gotta say...after looking at every post....I think I am more scared by the project than intrigued....

I find PE generally frustrating and unsatisfying to work with.  I mean, I can handle some....but the amount in this build looks pretty oppressive.  At my typical work pace....that project would take me at least 2-3 years to finish....at least.  And that's assuming my morale/determination does not collapse in the middle.  That kit is way too big for the shelf of doom.

Fortunately, I quite enjoy working with photo-etch  :)

This one won't beat me - I'm determined of that!

In breaking news my lamp fittings brass pedestals arrived today - only cost a few quid and certainly up to the job.

But I am leaning towards the polished clear acrylic blocks I mentioned earlier.

Also looking at base materials and cost of an acrylic case to go over her when done. I think presentation will need to be top notch on this one!

Iain

how long is this kit, ( in feet and inches, I don't do mm's very well....................  'M&M's yes............. just not mm's) )

Hi Jeff - in old money the hull is just a tad under 52".

Iain

Iain

52 INCHES !!?? wow , that is more daunting than I had ever imagined, BUT on the other hand, working with little tiny pieces may not be too much of an issue? I am assuming ( and I know I should never do that ) but at this huge size and scale, you may not need a magnifying glass?? Seriously, I am excited to watch the progress here Iain, I'm not much of a sailor ( father in law 25 years in the Royal Canadian navy tho) but this is VERY cool and most interesting. And I agree those big guns are beautiful........ I am following, I have beer and lots of popcorn..... :huh:

I think this one's even longer than the Mo.

Tim W.

Hi Tim - not quite - USS Missouri just under 27' longer at 1:1 - so about 1.62" longer in 1:200 by my calcs.

52 INCHES !!?? wow , that is more daunting than I had ever imagined, BUT on the other hand, working with little tiny pieces may not be too much of an issue? I am assuming ( and I know I should never do that ) but at this huge size and scale, you may not need a magnifying glass?? Seriously, I am excited to watch the progress here Iain, I'm not much of a sailor ( father in law 25 years in the Royal Canadian navy tho) but this is VERY cool and most interesting. And I agree those big guns are beautiful........ I am following, I have beer and lots of popcorn..... :huh:

Hi Jeff - just like Large Scale Planes compared to their smaller brethren, the BiG bits get bigger - but then a whole load of 'new' small bits magically appear! ;)

A lot of this will have to be done under the magnifier...

Iain

Hi Tim - not quite - USS Missouri just under 27' longer at 1:1 - so about 1.62" longer in 1:200 by my calcs.

Hi Jeff - just like Large Scale Planes compared to their smaller brethren, the BiG bits get bigger - but then a whole load of 'new' small bits magically appear! ;)

A lot of this will have to be done under the magnifier...

Iain

Excellent.  This is inspiring.  I still need to get the dang detail set.   

And finish my Missouri, started in 2014  :rofl:

LOL Iain what an impressive stack of photo etch, brass and resin... I'm somewhat tempted myself.

I only recently started building ships (1/350) and I'm having a blast (http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=65628&hl=) For this build I used some figures from North Star Models and they have some in 1/200 (https://northstarmodels.com/product-category/1200-figures/) although only German Kriegsmarine (but can you tell the difference in that size? It does give a lot to a ship with figures on it, so perhaps this is interesting for you

• 3 weeks later...

Iain

Wow indeed. I can imagine the mods to your work bench. A horizontal hand rail will be added. But key will be the flat, smooth surface under your new chair with upgrade to the wheels. You will need to slide along back and forth quickly using the hand rail or your feet. Maybe consider roller skates.

Rick

Iain , are we close to laying the keel yet??  I can't wait for you to start this.... I'm reading a book called Killing the Bismarck at the moment, and there is a VERY detailed section on the battle with HMS Hood, and what happened aboard Hood....lots went on before she went down....... it was taken from interviews with Ted Briggs..... and the other 2 survivors............ certainly not a place I would have wanted to be.....FYI, I bought the book because your build peaked my interest again, in HMS Hood

Great project, Iain, and you're most definitely not alone in your passion for the big ship models. It looks like a colossal undertaking, but I believe that you're up to it. The Warship Pictorial publication on the Hood is also very much worth having, if you were not already aware. I long to build the 1:200 Yamato, but have never summoned the courage to just go ahead and buy the kit.

As far as I'm aware, there's only the 1/200 Nichimo kit, which is old and discontinued and goes for very high prices now.  The molding is poor, fit and finish are poor and there's a large lack of detail in the kit.  Even with the gold medals PE...and yes, I have a 1/200 Yamato Nichimo in my stash (is there anything that I don't have lol!).  

I heard rumours of Trumpeter doing a 1/200 Yamato, but I have not been able to find any information on whether this happened or not.  I have a lot of references on the 1/200 yamato too (and the Bismarck).  I even have the ultra rare "Schlachtschiff Bismarck - Das Modell" by Josef Kaiser.