Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Hi gang,

Bear with me - this will probably end up being another glacial build running in parallel with all my other glacial builds, but with all the nastiness going on in the world I needed to dig the Hood out his evening in preparation for the imminent arrival of the amazing Pontos detail set I have pre-ordered, and is currently on its way to the UK.

Going to build as sunk - 1941 - and might put together as a build book, or series of magazine articles if I can find an interested publisher.

Here's what we have at the mo - only £180 at Telford last year (I think list is £299 in the UK) - and I blame fellow SIG/LSP members for 'encouraging me' (translates as told me where and how much whilst we were setting up the stand - and thereby lighting blue touch paper!).

Mentioned to my wife and son over dinner on the Friday - and resignation 'approval' obtained - it was the first stand/purchase I made before the show opened on the Saturday morning, the box looking slightly incongruous stood end up behind the LSP stand. It's big, very big...

IMG_9135_zps5jmpbaxs.jpg

Did I mention BiG?

The floor tiles are 300mm (so a foot) square...

Hull is 1318 mm long - here she is with a 1:32 Bf109E and HKs miniscule B-17G fuselage for scale:

IMG_9134_zps1hfmp9dq.jpg

Well, you only live once I guess...

Now - fortunately (or unfortunately?) a company called Pontos from South Korea were at Telford with some test parts from their planned accessory/detail set - stunning is not the word!

A year in development, they've had a lot of input from a number of subject matter experts, including the HMS Hood Association - so this set also corrects a number of areas on the Trumpeter kit.

The set provides: 307 Turned Brass components, 20 sheets of Photo Etch, 94 Resin Parts, Brass Props and a lazer engraved/cut/stained Wooden Deck.

As a pre-order I've got a bit of a discount on list price - but it's still costing quite a bit more than the kit (gulp!).

A few glamour shots posted by Pontos of their prototype to set the scene:

23009f1-31.jpg

23009f1-32.jpg

23009f1-33.jpg

23009f1-34.jpg

23009f1-35.jpg

23009f1-36.jpg

23009f1-37.jpg

23009f1-38.jpg

This has to be one of the most amazing aftermarket sets I've ever seen - can't wait for it to arrive so I can have a detailed look through.

I *may* well have bitten off way more than I can chew with this one - but it will probably be the only 1:200 Battlecruiser I ever build.

Wish me luck!

Iain

Wow, that thing is enormous! Dale sent me his 1/350 kit, and that's a handful all by itself. But this is on another level!

Oh, I'm sure you've already seen this, Iain, but just in case:

http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/trumpeter200.htm

Kev

The Hood was such a handsome looking ship ...

And these Pontos sets are really amazing, aren't they ?

Like for aircrafts, my tastes in ships are more esoteric ( read pre-dreadnought), but I will follow this one eagerly :popcorn:

Hubert

Funny you should say that Hubert  :)

*If* I ever get this one finished, I have dastardly ideas on converting a 1:200 Mikasa to a Formidable class Royal Navy vessel.

I've recently bought a copy of "British Battleships 1889 - 1904' by R A Burt - a superb reference.

As to Dreadnought herself - I have the Zvezda 1:350 kit - and Pontos set in the loft - one day!

More distractions! :frantic:

Iain

Guest Smitty44

I will get a straight jacket sent right away Iain. I have the Trumpy 1/200 Arizona that I have been picking away at for a few years, but certainly not with that style of detail set. Holy smokes!!

Iain,

Looking forward to this project to see how it goes and offer encouragement.   I received  the USS Missouri kit with the Pontos set for Christmas this past year form my wife and daughters.   Man these 1/200 kits are huge!!!    I am intimidated and fear it will take months of reading and study just to feel brave enough to start the monster!   The wife really wanted a 1/96 USS Constitution, but wood and knots are not my thing and I can only imagine the fun the cat would have helping me with the rigging!!

The Hood is a beautiful ship,  enjoy!!!!!

Thanks guys - appears there are some other madmen out there  :)

Your nagging encouragement will be much needed appreciated  :thumbsup:

Having seen a few of the 1:200 battleships built up there's something very tactile/engaging about the size.

If I'm honest - I'm petrified of starting. It's way more than I've ever bitten off before, but the enthusiasm is strong and I'll be able to treat a lot of it as a number of individual 'models' that will all come together near the end.

I've also got a couple of great reference books - 'Anatomy of the Ship - The Battlecruiser Hood' by John Roberts and 'The Battlecruiser HMS Hood - an Illustrated Biography' by Bruce Taylor. The latter I haven't been able to put down - as well as a host of images and drawings, it details the lives of the crew over the service life of the ship - and it was nice to spot some comments by my friend Bill Stone who served aboard in the 1920's. There's even a photo of his Barbers Shop (his sideline - his main job was in the engine rooms as a Stoker). To finally see photos of the interior of the ship that tallied with stories Bill had told me has been brilliant!

It was also by Grandfathers first ship as a boy entrant in the '20's - he subsequently went on to gain a Commission, his pilot wings and retired from the service in the 1950's as a Commander (Commander K C Ogilvie OBE RN). Sadly he died shortly after so I never met him.

I addition there's the Hood Association website that Kevin linked to above (as well as the kit review/corrections list there are lots and lots of photos).

Iain

MY GOD are you insane man ??!! Well yea, but we knew that, didn't we ? Cant wait to see you start this labor of love and frustration. I am really surprised at the size of the Hood. Thought she was smaller.....Harv :popcorn:  :popcorn:

I should ad that part of the intimidation for me is that we have some fantastic ship builders in our model club.  One fired build 1/96 cruisers and is currently building a 1/96 WWII Hornet, in RC.    I am on the fence that I should build the mine as a RC.   With my luck with RC the minute I send her out, it will capsize and sink!

Iain,

From time to time I considered trying my hand at the 1/200 scale Arizona but never followed through on that dream. I've even thought about 1/350 scale ships as a needed break from aircraft only builds, but never followed through on that idea either. So when I saw this thread I just had to have a look, and to say that I'm speechless is putting it mildly.

The Hook as just an OOB build would produce an outstanding and well detailed replica by anyone's standards. But with the Pontos detail set, it's a whole different league. those unpainted pictures are just amazing. I've never seen anything before quite like that.

I'm looking forward to following your build no matter how many years it may take. :popcorn:  :popcorn:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W