35 Yr Old Monogram Z to SS Camaro-PROJECT COMPLETED-07/20

mustang1989

Lookin' forward to seeing the outcome of that bad boy!

Me too. I see it as having great potential as a curbside representation. I even figured out (I think), how to paint the wheels for a really accurate appearance. The paint on yours looks gorgeous. Is that Testors spray bomb paint? It looks almost like a dead match for the color on my Challenger.

Thanks Kevin and I almost have to laugh (in good fun of course) . There IS no paint on the Challenger (if that's the finish you were talking about) . It's the molded color with Testors Ultra Gloss clear shot on it from a rattle can.

The paint on the Camaro , in case that's the one you're referring to, is called Mystic Teal Metallic and is from a local GM body shop with Testors "Wet Look" gloss dispensed from a rattle can and shot on with a Badger 350 AB.

Edited by mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...
It's been a good bit since I was on here but time is limited these days with summer and everything that goes on with it. I did do some more test fitting in the spare car body this morning. This time I fitted the interior and the firewall that I'm going to use and had some fit issues. It seemed that the upper part of the firewall was contacting the body at the corners which affected the vehicle stance dramatically!!! It sat waaaaaaaaaaaaay too high in the front so I had to clip the top corners of the firewall to allow the interior tub to sit further up into the body which brought my front end back down to where I wanted it. Grille will be replaced soon with one that will be modded so that it looks a little more "correct". This ones just in place for effect.
In this picture the top lip of the firewall is now sitting snugly up against the body cowl. There was around 3/16" between the two before the mod!! Still gotta install the master cylinder, brake lines and hook the heater hoses up and may run an electrical harness on there but we're getting closer every day................

001_zpsehrglwti.jpg

Stance is right where I want it now. A couple of shots with the grille in place:

002_zpsotx69erq.jpg

003_zpsdhvau3qj.jpg
Edited by mustang1989

Joe,

She has a great muscle car stance!  Can't wait to see it painted.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. The paint happened on page 5 of this thread good buddy. The orange body is a spare to use for test fitting purposes so I don't scar up my paint work on the real body.

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks MARU. 

I managed to get the master cylinder, brake lines and fittings completed a couple of days ago:

001_zps6mqkmdxi.jpg

and I got the obnoxious rear license plate under way. I'll install a couple of license plate retaining screws at the top of the license plate to top it all off.

002_zpsxzelvqbt.jpg

I've got most of the kinks knocked out of the grille after making some cuts and sanding back to the join areas. I've got the section all glued in and ready for paint. The headlight lenses are spare pieces and are being used for masking devices. See those stupid dots in the middle of the headlamp lenses? Yeah.............those! They'll be gone by the time I'm done with the grille.

001_zpskcoj9pl6.jpg

Here's a quick mock up of the engine compartment. Still have to mark the heater hoses for the clamps I'll be installing on them at the firewall connection, radiator hose fabrication and install and I'll be adding a windshield washer bottle on the radiator core support. I'll also be lifting the heater hose that has a little too much sag to it so that both heater hoses are routing closer together.

002_zpsmbmvknjn.jpg

Me too. I see it as having great potential as a curbside representation. I even figured out (I think), how to paint the wheels for a really accurate appearance. The paint on yours looks gorgeous. Is that Testors spray bomb paint? It looks almost like a dead match for the color on my Challenger.

MMMM  Challenger...

I'm amazed at how many fellas just ignore those headlight issues, Joe.

I hear you loud and clear on that Kevin. I see it all the time on some really good builds. 

Sneak peek shot. Still got a lot of work left to do. I've gotta figure out what's keeping the "real" car body sitting up in the front some and have to level things out a bit in the rear due to being a little high on the drivers side but we're getting there.........

001_zpsbwvohas2.jpg

and with the completed SS grille and lower air deflector( from the more accurate Revell release) glued in place. Keep in mind that the whole front end is NOT glued onto the body yet hence the large gaps between the facia and body in front of the wheel wells and at the sides of the grill to body. Still working on correcting the stance at the front and still gotta bumper to go but that'll be one of the last things that gets installed. I also have  a slight warpage issue on the body at the L/H nose section. I'm going to see what I can get by with on straightening that out. I'm not going to push my luck though as I spotted it waaaaaaaaaay late in the game. 

001_zpsf4ituxc8.jpg

002_zpsu4patwmk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks I've got the engine compartment finished. There are some things that are wrong and more things I could've added to the actual bay itself but hey, ya gotta know when to say "when" at some point. I chose to do a simple "fill in" at the passenger side rear of the engine bay where Monogram placed the battery initially and install it in the correct location. You'll see that the two rectangular holes for the hood hinges have been filled in and the molded in crappy wire details were removed from the firewall, the original master cylinder was overhauled and detailed along with the added brake lines and a windshield washer bottle was added (along with the battery) from the newer Revell Camaro release. Radiator hoses were constructed out of 16 gauge electrical wire and a dullcoat applied over both. Hose clamps were made from spare PE frets. All of the molded in detail on both fender wells was removed which instantly improved the engine bay appearance to me.

F100%20Money%20Shots%20001_zpspzndrznu.j

F100%20Money%20Shots%20002_zpscpttffoo.j

Ya know.......I just realized..............I'm almost done with this one and have absolutely no clue what my next auto build will be. emotion-8.gif

Mustang,

The engine and compartment look great!  I know it's hard to know when to stop adding detail.  At least it's not an 80's car with puke-bucket and it's associated tubing.

Maybe your next car should be a tank?

Keep up the great work!

Gaz