35 Yr Old Monogram Z to SS Camaro-PROJECT COMPLETED-07/20

mustang1989

Here we are with the dash in place, carpet / flocking put down everywhere except where the seats go and floor mats down. I've already got another set of floor mats coming so I can properly trim around the foot pedals. The extra mats will give me enough for the rear floor as well. I've got the shifter plate along with the shift pattern insert on the plate installed on the center console in this pic and will be adding the PE gauge bezels and gauges as well as the shifter lever soon to round out that console.

002_zpskttjcjyh.jpg

The two front seats with the chrome emblem picked out with that chrome pen:

003_zps3q91b5et.jpg

and the back seat that I robbed from the spare kit since my original Camaro build did NOT have a back seat at all in it. Yeah ....the roll bars are going bye bye for the revamp and I'll be installing this seat along with seat belts for the front and rear seats. I'll also be filling in those openings for the roll bar with some sheet styrene. Here the seat is fresh out of the brake fluid bath to remove the white paint it had on it.

001_zpsbblapujy.jpg

Folks this interior just keeps getting better and better with each addition. When this all started the interior didn't have a back seat. I think it was in the kit but for some reason I chose to omit it on the original build. When I got the spare kit it had one in it but it was notched out on the sides for the dang roll bar braces. Refer to the nasty orange seat in the previous post.

Here it is after filling in the cut outs with some Evergreen sheet styrene and filling and sanding everything smooth. Additionally, I made some small cut outs where the seat back and seat bottom meet for seat belts which are now installed with the PE seat buckles. Man I guess I need to fill the center "dot" in on those buckles. I'll also be working on the front seat finishes to match the rear seat. No biggie on that though.

001_zpsfzmgrlsi.jpg

Genuine 1970's 'Paint it Black' interior

That's looking really good

Richard

Thanks Richard. I'm currently waiting on another set of floor mats (I'd print 'em but I aint about to rip that passengers side floor mat outta there in the name of uniformity) and I'll be making a set of floor mats for the rear floor area as well, installing front seat belts and laying a "Hot Rod" magazine in the front seat to round things out.

Well guys, the floor mats came in the mail yesterday and I went right to work finishing the interior. All I have left at this point are the door lock rods/ knobs at each door but that'll be one of the last things to take care of with this model. I will, however, go ahead and drill the holes in the door panel. Here it is with floor mats at all four seating positions , the front seat belts installed and a Hot Rod magazine to round it all out.

001_zpsbjqaj6y1.jpg

I just hate these engines that are molded in two halves with the oil pan included. facepalm_zpsgaclnqrj.gif

001_zpsgewlndo4.jpg

After taking care of the seam lines and priming , I carried the black basing over from the aviation side and applied it here.

007_zpswjllpjex.jpg

I went ahead and black based the intake manifold as well. I shot the block with some home mixed Chevrolet Engine Red and shot the coat on and then shot the intake with some "Aluminum". After that I applied a subtle wash to bring out the detail of both pieces. 

005_zpsyib34lqx.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I picked up this 1/25 scale Revell Camaro for any spare parts I might need along the way, a few of which I have used. I've gotten some commentary on how bad the old Monogram Camaro was in terms of size and overall accuracy in which I can say that those comments are right on in almost every sense of the word. Nevertheless, my original goal was to restore my first auto build and I will be staying true to that course. However there is a temporary set back with the engine.

I test fitted the 396 that I've been building up into the mocked up build and I'm glad I did. Talk about what looks like a mouse motor looking 396 in there between the fenders!!!

003_zps6kkbea0i.jpg

The more I looked at it , the more I saw a distinct difference in not only scale but from the last BB Chevy I built that went into my '54 Panel. So I turned right back to the AMT BB Chevy for an engine build. Both are the "same scale" at 1/25 but look how much bigger AMT's BB is as opposed to Revell's.

I also grabbed a set of 1/24 scale rocker covers from the Pro Stock Camaro kit that I've got for extra "bulk". They fit perfectly.

001_zpswy709hoz.jpg

Yeah..................a no brainer right?

Another thing that I liked about AMT's BB is that it also comes with a bracket for that alternator so I don't have that "mysterious floating alternator" hanging off of the belt out there.

002_zpstzi88q56.jpg

Just as a side note and as a defense to those who are telling me that the Monogram Camaro has some severe dimensional and accuracy issues. Here is the Monogram Camaro body on the left and the Revell one to the right. First off I just don't see how a 1/24th scale model could be this far off in size difference................but that's just me. Secondly there ARE some serious differences in the body lines and curves throughout the body on the Monogram one. Wow! Still................this is all about sentiments so forward with my original intent I go.....

003_zpspaez6pff.jpg

004_zpsektsjwmb.jpg