35 Yr Old Monogram Z to SS Camaro-PROJECT COMPLETED-07/20

mustang1989

I don't mind the looks, they are just horrible to work on. My sister had one once, and sorting out the hundred and one faults to get the de misting to work was - challenging.

Replacing half a floor wasn't a lot of fun either

Fortunately, she sold it. These latest jobs are paid work

Richard

Old cars here have to have an annual test, I took that Beetle to be tested. While it was up on the ramps, I mentioned to the tester that I hated the car. He looked at me a bit confused. I said it wasn't my car, he said 'right - we hate them too' and then gave me a list of his horror stories with them

Still, I can't complain - I've got a 1972 MG

How's your model build going?

Richard

I totally skipped the dismantling process. lol . 

Here's a picture of what we're going to start with as it sat on my bench before the tear down. 

001_zpsdkwfic7g.jpg

The options were wide open as there hasn't been anything in the engine compartment in 30 years now:

002_zpsbun3inn0.jpg

A picture of the interior:

003_zpsrgh5lhxg.jpg

Now apart on the bench:

004_zpsgzpo9p1k.jpg

To start with I have managed to come up with another hood thanks to Paul at Custom Model Society forum:

005_zpsozepfukk.jpg

We'll be going with this 396 from Revell that I had in the parts stash:

007_zps3hwzbkcn.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Jim ! 

I normally start with the engine on all my builds but I'm still waiting on a few parts for that so we're switchin' it up to the interior first this time. Apparently, this is the very best that Monogram could do in the late 70's and throughout the early 80's I guess. It's not very accurate but it's what I've got ................so we'll deal with that.

001_zpswnbbzhm2.jpg

002_zps3waq4jt2.jpg

Yeah....that's what I said too. This is going to undergo a MASSIVE overhaul. It's not going to be perfect but I'm shooting for the best I can do with this interior bucket to transform it into something that somewhat resembles this....minus the wood grain of course. I prefer .....................some black trim instead. 

camp-0810-05-1969-camaro-z28-interior.jp

Edited by mustang1989

I've been working on this thing but there are a lot of corrections to make. First off the PE bezels are NOT going to work with this dash ....................BUT I've got a different plan. Here's where we start this morning.....

001_zpspdikcnnj.jpg

I drilled out the IP gauges and sanded down the back of them for the scale thickness factor and sanded the Camaro emblem off as well as cleaned up a bunch of flash and sinkholes that I found not only on top of the dash but the face of it as well. I also sanded that Camaro script from the dash.

002_zpsrunv2nhj.jpg

Here we are with the dash completed. I got the film instruments and the "Camaro" script from the PE set. All dash trim was brought out with a silver lead pencil. While it's not the best dash you'll ever see, it's a far cry from what it was.

001_zpssr6p6ptt.jpg

I find it funny that your handle in "mustang1989", but you're building a Camaro1969.  :)

I've been working one of these for the past 5-6 years. Wish it looked like this, but getting there slowly. I have two model kits of it that I need to build someday, too.

21732010001_large.jpgpicture host

Tim

I find it funny that your handle in "mustang1989", but you're building a Camaro1969.  :)

I've been working one of these for the past 5-6 years. Wish it looked like this, but getting there slowly. I have two model kits of it that I need to build someday, too.

21732010001_large.jpgpicture host

Tim

LOL! At the time I first bought this model at 12 years old, I was head over heels in love with 69 Camaro's. My how times have changed. lol 

You've got a '64 Chevelle model? If its the old AMT Craftsman series, you've got yourself a rare kit.

I've been working on this thing but there are a lot of corrections to make. First off the PE bezels are NOT going to work with this dash ....................BUT I've got a different plan. Here's where we start this morning.....

001_zpspdikcnnj.jpg

I drilled out the IP gauges and sanded down the back of them for the scale thickness factor and sanded the Camaro emblem off as well as cleaned up a bunch of flash and sinkholes that I found not only on top of the dash but the face of it as well. I also sanded that Camaro script from the dash.

002_zpsrunv2nhj.jpg

Here we are with the dash completed. I got the film instruments and the "Camaro" script from the PE set. All dash trim was brought out with a silver lead pencil. While it's not the best dash you'll ever see, it's a far cry from what it was.

001_zpssr6p6ptt.jpg

That looks quite good actually. The interior of the old kits are poor, you have some work ahead of you but If you keep up at this rate it is going to look VERY good !!

:popcorn:

Vaughn

That looks quite good actually. The interior of the old kits are poor, you have some work ahead of you but If you keep up at this rate it is going to look VERY good !!

:popcorn:

Vaughn

I plan on getting stooopid with this thing so we'll see how it all turns out.  :D

Edited by mustang1989

It took me a little elbow grease and alot of patience to get the steering wheel and column where I wanted it. First off I took the OOB steering wheel and cut out the spoke holes and shaved off the horn pad. I then drilled two holes in the column. One on the right for the ignition switch, key and key chain and the one on the left for a turn signal lever. I painted the steering wheel spokes with the newly acquired chrome pen that I just got in the mail and installed a PE "SS" horn pad. I then took a PE key along with a PE ignition switch bezel and a PE key chain with a "Bowtie" on it , made a scratch built key ring and put it all together and installed it into the column. The turn signal lever is made from a .019" needle I had in the spares box and I'll be painting a black knob on the end of it tomorrow morning. Any ways here it all is. I'll show the before picture (which I knew I should have taken a more clear "before" picture of the dash beforehand but this is all I've got) and then the improvement pics:

Before:

003_zpsrgh5lhxg.jpg

After:

002_zpsmekkvvsm.jpg

001_zpsbtb8duco.jpg

003_zpsc2bmdwmj.jpg