North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

Bit more work on the fuselage sides. Cut the rudder free on 1 side so far. Also cut away the fuselage undersurface where the wing fits in as i will be doing a better wing / fuselage join than what the kit provides

Slight bit of work on cowlings

A bit more work trimming out and preparing parts. This sure takes a bit of effort even to get to the point where you have clean parts. But I am starting to like the project. I like the challenge of building in the internal structure to give these flimsy parts some rigidity. A bit closer to building an actual aircraft.

Question for the audience. Do I rebuild the fin or not. I could get it to be about the right thickness by the way i assemble the halves, but the base of the fin as moulded in the fuselage is too wide. Do we just live with this and move on? Is it worth the time to change? Will anyone notice or care?

I'd say Yes, rebuild it. Somebody looking at the assembled uncorrected plane may not be able to specifically point to it and say "That's not looking good" but there'll be a sense of something not quite right. It's like thinning edges to a scale thickness on undercarriage doors for instance, not instantly noticeable nor appreciated but just adds to the overall look of the model.

Max

PS Is this "kit" easily available or were you lucky in picking one up?

Just pot luck, and I have no idea of their general availability as I never look at vacforms, just found the auction on our local site by accident. Heres what the chap has still up for grabs. if you want the batch - give a shout and i can buy them for you and ship to you if you transfer funds for me

http://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-models/models/aircraft/1_48/auction-1133485747.htm

of course ive already nabbed the Harvards - but if you cant find one - i will send you the other one I have.

But have a look on ebay as well

Went scrounging and scavenging through my other Harvards in progress and found one kit which I could scavenge a lot of stuff from, so now i have just about everything required. In case anyone watching this building hadn't realised. You still need just about an entire Monogram/Revell 1/48 kit to be able to build this. The vacform is just a set of conversion parts.

The pictures of the wing with Centre section built in is what i have done for one of my other builds and will do on this vacform build as well. In other words - the cockpit floor is the upper surface of the wing

28732289495_d0099c3099_b.jpg28448072590_d9a107c08e_b.jpg28114691764_c73205f909_b.jpg

I have decided to add Monogram ailerons, and im thinking I will use the monogram cowling unless I can fix the glaring problem with the vacform cowling in that the trailing edge curves back inwards - heaven knows why.

I agree with max - I will slice off the fin and see what I can do.

The rudder itself is also way too thick but this will simply have to be corrected during assembly

SBH, that's a very kind offer but I'd feel rather guilty if you surrendered one of your Harvards, they're pretty rare by the looks of it. I'm hoping to make a Mk I, this one in particular:

13412116_10204844572793916_9124095966865

I very much like what you're doing so far, it's a good combination of IM and vac. :)

Max

Ok now I'm a bit confused. The ailerons are not the same as the monogram kit. Not just a little. Significantly different. Cross referencing to "T-6 In Action", the BC-1 top view shows an aileron that is exactly the same as the top view of the later T-6s, but yet the top view of the image I posted in this thread on 29 July seems to show a more squared aileron which matches the vacform kit.

Now I have no idea whats what