North American BC-1 Trainer (Harvard Mk1) 1/48 Vacform - Sierra Scale

SirBlueHenry

I got myself the Sierra vacform kits of the Harvard Mk1 and the BC-1

I have chosen to do the BC-1 first because it has a bit more detail in the form of a ribbed fin which I like.

This is not a complete kit and the builder needs to use a lot of the Monogram/Revell 1/48 kit as well.

Lets see how this turns out. - Photos coming soon

I have decided NOT to use the scribe and snap method for getting rid of the excess plastic. I am filing and sanding and cutting- which is very tedious and makes me realise why I dont build vacform models. But all said and done it will be an interesting experience and a nice addition to the Harvard line.

One side of the fuselage is pretty close to ready - but still need to remove the cowling

Trimmed out 2 wing uppers, and wondered if I should rather modify the Monogram wings but decided to stick with the whole vacform experience.

Did a fair bit of work cleaning up the other fuselage side, and trimmed the cowling off. I cant figure out why a seperate cowling ring is supplied unless its for inside to allow for a bit of strength.

Then aligning the 2 halves shows a bit of mismatch around the upper rear fuselage and fin, which may be due to the fin offset being portrayed in the kit or it may be an anomaly of vacforming this shape. It doesnt appear to be going to cause hassles - touch wood.

I am now pondering trimming the rudder free and improving it, as well as giving myself more access to creating a good fin.

On the other hand I dont want this to become a big project. More like a quick but nice build.