GT Resin 1:32 F-4E Phantom II burner cans (long)

LSP_Kevin

Unlike almost all of the burner cans available these ones are the correct diameter.

The Tamiya cans and Aires plus a few others are also undersize.

We are not talking a small amount either its enough to make a clear visual difference to how your F-4 looks.

A correctly sized burner makes the finished kit look very much beefier at the tail and its well worth the money to accurize your F-4.

I would never consider doing another Tamiya F-4 withour correctly sized burners it makes such a difference.

GT's, i think Sierra Hotel did some correctly sized aswell. Not sure which others but the size is the single biggest benefit.

I got them in the GTR Geasel super set and they are by far the best F-4 long nozzles out there (together with the Sierra Hotel and the CAM)

Aires and Brassin have a great detail but they are wrongly diametered.

Edited by Luca

The review really needs to be comparative or shown in a dry fit. But nice photos showing the gear.

I have Aries long cans for an E and J already and am wondering whether to invest further in new nozzles (very expensive with international postage and the miserable Brexiting, withering, £)

-or-

experiment making a cut and splicing in a spacer on the Aries parts to enlarge the diameter. Anybody tried it?

Tony

I have Aries long cans for an E and J already and am wondering whether to invest further in new nozzles (very expensive with international postage and the miserable Brexiting, withering, £)

same here... I have two Aires sets.

Edited by Luca

The review really needs to be comparative or shown in a dry fit. But nice photos showing the gear.

Tony

If you'd like to send me the Tamiya kit, I'd be more than happy to do the comparison views.  :)

If you'd like to send me the Tamiya kit, I'd be more than happy to do the comparison views.  :)

Or send them to me (just kidding).

It wasn't a criticism; it's just that the market is flooded with options, none of which is cheap, most not fit for purpose, and yet the kit nozzles are awful and desperately in need of replacement: one of Tamiya's 1/35 kit toolmakers must have been given the job and forgot in what scale he was supposed to be working.

The GT Resin cans really do look the part, the Sierra Hotel versions being made of unobtanium.

Tony

Well, I guess I should've looked at my workbench first instead of trying to find old WIP photos. I've got a F-4E on it with GT Resin burner cans just sitting there.

So here's a comparison pic with the long cans.

20171015_212656-L.jpg

This one hopefully shows the difference in diameter when they're not mounted.

20171015_212813-L.jpg

Lastly, comparing both to the CE long can (it's in the middle).

20171015_212743-L.jpg

They really do make a difference. As for fit, it's just a quick sanding and you're good to go.

Carl

Thanks, Carl. Without the kit to enable a quick mount, I was left with just looking at the parts themselves, which as I said, look quite good to my eye. It's interesting to see the fit issues with the kit cans. I'm looking forward to tackling my own kit, whenever I get one. 

Personally even if the Tamiya ones were the correct diameter the detail on the nozzles is lacking to say the least.

Given the complexities of molding a part like that, it's certainly understandable enough.