Hasegawa Bf 109G 6

Coming together nicely Keith! It certainly does look strange fully-assembled with no paint. I love this phase of a build though, when it starts to look like the subject, and you know the painting stage awaits.

Kev

A couple of progress pics showing the beginings of the camo.

Pictures007.jpg

Pictures006.jpg

As with the Fw 190 I completed earlier, the camo is nearly entirely free-hand... Nice and easy.

This is the third Luftwaffe plane that I have painted in these colours in recent months and, although they have all been mixed to the same formula, the colours have all turned out different!

Mmmm.?

Good progress Keith. The non-green camo colour looks strangely purple to me - is that intentional? It's also interesting that you've painted the blue colour last, when conventional wisdom suggests doing it first - could you elaborate on your thinking there?

Kev

Interesting that you've painted the blue colour last, when conventional wisdom suggests doing it first - could you elaborate on your thinking there?

Kev

The excellent coverage I get from the Tamiya acrylics promted me to try this approach on the last model I did. By putting the blue on last, I am able to get a more even demarcation line and a more subtle blotch effect with little or no masking. I also don't have to go back and do as much touching up.

However, I do have to do the whole thing in one go, which takes some patience.

The purple tint might just be the lighting. This is the closest colour matching I've managed so far.

The excellent coverage I get from the Tamiya acrylics promted me to try this approach on the last model I did. By putting the blue on last, I am able to get a more even demarcation line and a more subtle blotch effect with little or no masking. I also don't have to go back and do as much touching up.

However, I do have to do the whole thing in one go, which takes some patience.

The purple tint might just be the lighting. This is the closest colour matching I've managed so far.

Thanks Keith. Did you spray the mottle after applying the blue, or did you spray the blue 'around' the existing camo to create the mottle?

Sorry for so many questions!

Kev

Thanks Keith. Did you spray the mottle after applying the blue, or did you spray the blue 'around' the existing camo to create the mottle?

Sorry for so many questions!

Kev

No problem..

The blue was sprayed around the darker colours to create the mottle patches. I believe the term would be "creating negative space".

This is probably the most effective way to solve the mottle problem using my $15.00 airbrush without just creating blobs!

One day I might by a fancy one... :D

"The trash heap has spoken!"

No problem..

The blue was sprayed around the darker colours to create the mottle patches. I believe the term would be "creating negative space".

This is probably the most effective way to solve the mottle problem using my $15.00 airbrush without just creating blobs!

One day I might by a fancy one... :D

"The trash heap has spoken!"

Thanks again Keith. That's amazing work if you've only got a cheap airbrush!

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Well... This build came to bit of a grinding halt.

The painter returned (after waiting 6 months!) and we had to move everything out of the house, leaving me nowhere to build. We have been a bit slow getting everything back together and I now have to construct a new model building bench... big enough to accommodate me and all the Missus scrap-booking projects. A three mitre long, glass topped bench should do the trick.

Here she is with all the deekils on;

Pictures011.jpg