Silver Wings Boeing Stearman N2S-2 US Navy

Jan_G

Pleasure Mike,

If there is anything else specific that is required please mention it and I will try to get the info.

Steve

Thanks a lot Steve for your effort and photos!

really appreciate

btw really nice plane you have  :)

small update

I didnt take lot of photos but generally I was trying to prepare surface for painting

and again several air bubbles appeared even after smooth sanding

so I have applied thin layers of surfacer, polished it, filled air bubbles and repeated this process for couple of times

this was related mainly to upper wing

at the end I have applied Mr. White base and polished it

IMG_9401_zps6fptzwj3.jpg

1ab52858-7aa9-4934-8dad-04672f044664_zps

same steps I have used for airframe and lower wing

after base white has dried I have applied thin layers of  GSI red (C327, FS11136) end yellow (C329, FS13538)

for rudder I have used Intermediate blue (C072) mixed in ratio 3/1 with bright blue (C065)

IMG_9414_zpsejeeusl4.jpg

733a87d6-aaec-4930-b3d2-89b99db44580_zps

8914ec44-4745-469f-a92d-ddcabfef52ad_zps

d06ba5ff-3554-43b6-b4f2-1e4c1421381c_zps

d374e6ef-a766-48ef-bf30-e3553316a717_zps

now I need to correct again some visible errors

thanks for looking

jan

some work on engine done

exhaust painted with Tamiya burnt iron

IMG_9583_zpshkvul198.jpg

at the end I have realised that exhaust is too short so I just create new exhaust end

IMG_9591_zpsyqooq5sv.jpg

and rust pigment thinned with tamiya X-20 sprayed over exhaust

IMG_9598_zpsyjv6cze7.jpg

and wires added, not satisfied with result, next time will use for this kind of engine some AM spark plugs

1c80c5f1-f285-4ae8-a13c-ea5f63b1bb44_zps

IMG_9618_zpspeq741yl.jpg

engine ready for glossy coat and final weathering

IMG_9627_zpsn6nrlxfz.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

decals already applied, here are some of my remarks

decals are thin and in register, even colours match pretty good

but it was quite tricky to work with them for me, but this could be based on lack of experience on my side  :rolleyes:

after I manage to transfer decal to the surface it was really hard to move it to the correct position, for example "401" decal I have managed to torn in 3 pieces while correcting position

I have used Mr. Setter and Softer during the proces. After complete drying, quite significant edges remained, which required some gentle sanding and several layers of gloss coat

As usual, I have started with insignias, and just after that I have checked reference picture. So I did not realise that there was no red roundels. Too late for me.
here are some discrepancies between instructions and well known picture of this particular aircraft

Untitled_zpsrmo4ngpr.jpg

and the result, ready for weathering

IMG_9577_zpsnkri4rqw.jpg
IMG_9562_zpsmrw92gi9.jpg
IMG_9561_zpsajkorgen.jpg
IMG_9559_zpsmtwntufz.jpg
52e150b4-f817-47ba-83e7-308d8f9e1495_zps
IMG_9555_zps3xeojlgb.jpg

thanks for looking
jan

Looking fabulous Jan,

With Stearmans it's best to go with the photo of a particular aircraft if you can get one! It's about the only way to prove how it was painted at the time. Red centres to the insignia were removed in early 1942, and the fire extinguisher cover would have been red. Red bands, signify an instrument training aircraft as well, these were added to all aircraft in 1943 and instrument planes bands became either green or blue. Stearman training colour schemes is a very complex subject indeed. I suspect this photo was taken late 1943 or 44 since there is no 'blind flying hood' on the rear cockpit, making this a normal training aircraft. It is a famous photo from Corpus Christy I think so you could find out. I could of course be wrong, like I said it's a complex subject.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Bradleygolding

With Stearmans it's best to go with the photo of a particular aircraft if you can get one! It's about the only way to prove how it was painted at the time. Red centres to the insignia were removed in early 1942, and the fire extinguisher cover would have been red. Red bands, signify an instrument training aircraft as well, these were added to all aircraft in 1943 and instrument planes bands became either green or blue. Stearman training colour schemes is a very complex subject indeed. I suspect this photo was taken late 1943 or 44 since there is no 'blind flying hood' on the rear cockpit, making this a normal training aircraft. It is a famous photo from Corpus Christy I think so you could find out. I could of course be wrong, like I said it's a complex subject.

Thanks a lot Steve for your comments and recommendations  :)

Was not sure about the extinguisher cover so I followed instructions. I will paint it red, just need to find decal with white letters for it

Pls Steve, can you help mi with the propeller colours?

on this original photo leading edge looks quite dark, I would say black, and the same for tips protection, but this could be just because of light conditions

prop2_zpsajzxel7i.jpg

Or it should be like on this photo, I mean some natural metal for leading edge end khaki fabric for tips?

prop_zps6qwfkcz0.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions, really apreciate
jan