My HB Mk.Vb/ Trop

Thank's Maru. not much progress this weekend as I'm working hard to get my HK Mossie build finished as I really need the bench space back and also I'm real close now as I'm working through the paint scheme.

Regards. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go Harv, as requested with hole's drilled out, also spent a bit of time getting the Barracuda seat/ armour plate dry fitted and looking far better than the kit parts I have to say....

20160120_201842_zpsotmnl8jz.jpg

Also working on the fuselage interior now I have the rivet detail filled and sanded back so hopefully a decent update this weekend.

Regards. Andy

Done some work on the port half of the fuselage this evening, here is the comparison between my filed and the standard kit rivet detail.......

20160121_210132_zpsti3bp46a.jpg

Then moved on to the cockpit side wall, very impressed with the HB kit so far!!

20160121_210150_zps8511vjxi.jpg

Also been looking at the lower wing and the HB kit would have you fit the slipper tank for the option I am building

20160121_210058_zpsqgus0xrq.jpg

My question is......did the USAAF use these slipper tank's on the Mk Vb Trop as I've not seen any picture's of this..... would love to add it to the buils but only if it was used and I have photo evidence.

Any help would be most appreciated on this little conundrum gentlemen.

As always thank's for looking in on this one.

Regards. Andy

Done some work on the port half of the fuselage this evening, here is the comparison between my filed and the standard kit rivet detail.......

20160121_210132_zpsti3bp46a.jpg

Then moved on to the cockpit side wall, very impressed with the HB kit so far!!

20160121_210150_zps8511vjxi.jpg

Also been looking at the lower wing and the HB kit would have you fit the slipper tank for the option I am building

20160121_210058_zpsqgus0xrq.jpg

My question is......did the USAAF use these slipper tank's on the Mk Vb Trop as I've not seen any picture's of this..... would love to add it to the buils but only if it was used and I have photo evidence.

Any help would be most appreciated on this little conundrum gentlemen.

As always thank's for looking in on this one.

Regards. Andy

I've just had a quick look through "American Spitfire Camouflage and markings" (Ventura) and could not find any photos of a Mk.Vb with a slipper tank, there was a photo of a Mk.IX with a 90 gallon tank so they were about.

Cheers

Dennis

Another one of your thoughtful meticulous builds Andy, I like it a lot! How's the Hurricane going.....thinking of starting mine soon. :)

Max

The Hurricane is coming along nicely Max and should have an update pretty soon, currently at the point of dry fitting and adjusting the lower wing prior to reaching for the glue, also have my HK Mosquito at the weathering stage and nearly finished as well as this build so plenty going on at the moment!!

Looking forward to seeing your take on the PCM Hurricane as well.

Regards. Andy 

I've just had a quick look through "American Spitfire Camouflage and markings" (Ventura) and could not find any photos of a Mk.Vb with a slipper tank, there was a photo of a Mk.IX with a 90 gallon tank so they were about.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you for that Dennis, I've also been having a scout round and can't find any evidence of a Vb in American service with the tank fitted so I'm thinking I'll not fit one to my build.

Regards. Andy

• 4 weeks later...

Decided it was time to have a little break from my PCM Hurricane build and spend some time on this one, so managed to get the fuselage interiors finished ready for painting......

20160214_155843_zpsdsc8sg3l.jpg

Then removed the moulded instrument panel detail ready for the new panel and also added the Barracuda resin detail as well........

20160214_155929_zps8ri29aka.jpg

Then on to the cockpit floor which is now ready for the Barracuda parts to be added........

20160214_155959_zpsi2kr2jye.jpg

And finally built up the Merlin, well I say built up the Merlin.......as it looks not a lot like a Merlin and I'm adding all the engine cowls, I built it as far as I thought necessary and no more.....

20160214_155811_zpsemekgage.jpg

Looking forward to getting some colour on the cockpit on this one during the coming week.

Regards. Andy

Have to say I'm loving this Hobby Boss Spitfire.........great fit, great detail and fantastic value for money. Took me just over an hour to assemble the wings to this point with what looks like only minimal cleaning up to do afterwards.

20160216_200749_zpsqkldtavg.jpg

Found the clear gun bay covers a little gimmicky but it's only a very minor gripe!!

Regards. Andy