Special Hobby 1:32 Airacobra AH574 - First Tricycle Deck Landing

TorbenD

Thanks all for your encouraging words.

Shaka, the answer to your question is very little will be visible but just enough to make it worth the effort as this cockpit is very open to viewing if one or both car doors are open as I intend.

The wiring was actually quick and easy to do - the overall effect I want is a busy ‘gizmology' and where possible scale thickness. It's the photo etch I find time consuming and fiddly and without clean up after would be covered in CA!

Cheers, Torben

Welcome aboard, and great work.

Re the "used and abused" look: Capt Brown used this as his own "personal" aircraft for a while.  The story is that one day a Bell test pilot was visiting Farnborough, and having spotted the aircraft requested a flight for nostalgia's sake.  He came back horrified, and (shall we say) "strongly suggested" that the aircraft had seen better days and was not airworthy.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Apologies for my late comments to your (not) late entry to the GB Torben, been away for a couple of weeks. I have to say I'm very impressed by what I've seen so far, excellent modelling skills and an eye for detail. I look forward to seeing more......:)

Max

Thanks MARU, Mike and Max for your kind and encouraging words. Apologies for a late reply.

Mike, I know the story well :)  I love the fact that Capt Brown then took the P39 up for a farewell session of aerobatics after it had been condemned by the Bell test pilot. I think it was replaced as his hack by a Feiseler Storch... perhaps his boss wanted to slow him down a little!

I've been quietly whittling away in the cockpit. The main crash protection frame on my kit looked badly formed with one side much thicker than the other. The inner frame liner was also very unevenly moulded and according to reference photos it was a relatively prominent feature with much bolting/riveting...

DSC00416-X3.jpg

...one thing lead to another... 

DSC00440-X3.jpg

DSC00443-X3.jpg

DSC00444-X3.jpg

I added the (seat-belt?) bar between as I've seen in many P39 interiors including what I believe to be it in pictures of 601 Squadron Airacobras.

One final detail; much inspired by what Peter at Airscale has been doing (aren't we all...) and after reading his piece on using a mini-drill as a micro lathe I thought I'd have a bash at it. Here's my 6th and hopefully final version of the handle for the emergency landing gear crank. I had fun experimenting with creating it and even after loosing 5-1 to the carpet monster as my early attempted pinged of to early graves i was pretty happy with this teeny tiny victory.

DSC00449-X3.jpg

Cheers,

Torben

Edited by TorbenD

Thanks all for your comments.

I have a couple of queries that I hope someone can help with.

1. The Special Hobby kit is missing the prominent Trim Wheel to the left of the pilot's seat. Was this a deliberate feature for the P39F? I know the RAF requested several mods, was the changing of this to what looks like a simple twist knob one of them (perhaps to aid exiting from the LHS)?

2. If I were to replace the seat belt with a one of RB Productions or those by HGW what would be the best and accurate. Should it be a Sutton QS or QK or something else completely?

Cheers,

Torben

Thanks all for your encouraging words :D. Slowly, slowly does it...

Kev - thx for your reply on the belts - I think I know the HGW set you mean but from what I can make out it's meant for the SH/Revell P-39D, USAF style? (and my assumption would be that RAF style of belts would have been fitted) It also doesn't look like the photo-etch supplied by SH which on detailed inspection looks closer to an early Sutton QK harness (?).  That said, I love the naturalness of the HGW belt on your build... Hmmm, decisions... I may try the kit photoetch first, to see if i can keep this OOB.   In the same vein I'll stick with not adding the trim wheel too for now as per instructions, reasoning I can always add it later if I get a definitive answer later.   

Cheers, Torben

Just a quick in prog update, concentrating on the main wheel wells which needed some fettling to get scale thickness and file out all the lightening holes. I lot of fiddly but enjoyable work; baring a few more bits of pluming (brake wires etc.) and lots of cleaning I hope I've broken the back of how far I want to take construction (or destruction) this area.

These images are a rough dry fit so some of the elements will fit much better in final assembly - i needed to keep it in sections for easier painting.

1%20DSC00490-XL.jpg

1%20DSC00471-XL.jpg

1%20DSC00535-XL.jpg

1%20DSC00492-L.jpg

1%20DSC00493-L.jpg

Oh and a quick WIP on the cockpit

1%20DSC00481-L.jpg

Cheers for looking,

Torben

Edited by TorbenD