Spook..... I am your Phather......

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I must admit that when I started this build, using these techniques, that I was unsure about how much I'd enjoy it, but it has actually been fun. I really like trying out new stuff, and this fits the bill. My Vigilante used some similar techniques, but not nearly as much. Here is the model as it is now, with the skeletal front offered up to the mostly-finished mid-section. It is going much faster than I ever thought it would! One thing that I was surprised about, this plane is huge. Flying this thing off of Carriers with an underpowered engine required some serious cojones, I'm sure.

3d37cf2ca6e1fbd7538821c550afd5b4_zps163d

Man, I simply could not do that.  In my personal opinion you have to be real "ballsy" (is that a proper word?) to approach a scratch project in this fashion!

Great job so far. Keep it going.!

Fab

I thought I'd tackle the intakes next, and thought I'd be clever in my methods- I decided to steal a page from our brothers who build targets ( aka Tanks) and utilize a technique that is used for individual track links. I laid down some tape and put the individual intake parts on it, side-by-side.

c28212017b7fd5348361985434af855d_zps2c62

I then draped it over a mold with the correct profile

50ccbddb66b428dcc51eaca37a1532b2_zpse696

I then pulled the intake skins from the mold

41358e76a4e7aac02c762956629020c5_zps144a

Then set them against the model to see if the would be usable. Some trimming was needed, but, size-wise, they worked.

bc04f5e212f84dca41bd782e91a6c664_zps0ba6

Unfortunately, these unsupported parts are as fragile as eggshells. My attempt at being clever was a bit of a letdown, I'll just make these parts out of solid styrene, or perhaps metal. Live and learn!

BTW - if the parts are so fragile, why don't you leave them on the support aka mould for trimming and then glue them into place afterwards? Then, a very thin plastic sheet (0,3mm or so) added to the inside of the intake could also be enough to add strength to the part.

Lee, have you tried to cover the planks with liquid styrene before you remove them from the support? It takes literally ages to cure, but once completely dry you get a very strong bond and you have a uniform material to work with. Personally I don't like most fillers because their material properties are never the same as styrene, so I use liquid styrene a lot.

Cheers

Rainer

Edited by Rainer Hoffmann

Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions! I ended up just making the intakes from sheet styrene, slowly bent to shape. I tried various other ideas, but in the end, the simplest solution turned out to be the best. Hopefully, I'll have something worth posting in the next few days!