WNW Sopwith Camel (Bentley BR.1)

ZachP319

Well here goes. Every time I do a WIP thread its a death nell to that project at least in the short term....

However here is my next project: 

WNW Sopwith Camel BR 1 built out of the box. This is a really beautiful kit and I have been chomping at the bit to get to it while I forced myself to finish other projects lest they get stranded on the shelf of doom. 

Beauty shot of the kit and a pristine work space....

W070NHs.jpg

My beginnings on the interior for this little guy

AjZS81J.jpg

Hopefully more to come and I will break the WIP thread curse :) 

Zach

Great start!    I have two of these in the stash, and really like the look. Unless you are planning to change a lot, this is one of those kits that will fit so good, that it very well may raise your chances of finishing a WIP.

Model on! 

Which scheme are you doing? If doing Donner Wetter the instructions do not show that the cowling has a thin white ring around the front. I have a book which contains photos of10(N) Sq, C flight at various times and the white ring can be easily seen.

HTH

Ok I have definitively decided to do A R Brown's camel from his 1918 Dogfight with The Red Baron. The Polish Option had some pull but The Red Baron's final dogfight just has too much mystique about it to pass it up. And since we have not seen a lot of Camels built yet I can say that everyone else copied me if this turns out to be the popular scheme  :whistle:

Anyway I have been working on interior bits mostly. 

Got the panel together and only after seeing this photo did I realize that one dial is grossly misaligned. I  figure once everything is together this should be fairly unnoticeable but it is bugging me a lot.... 

5uTfdcC.jpg

I painted and installed most of the other interior bits to one side but then paused as I realized that it would be much easier (As in not impossible) to rig the interior prior to add the other side. As it stands in this photo rigging the bays on the assembled side poses a challenge.  :oops:

kAQZGpz.jpg

Here I have rigged the other side and laid it in the fuselage. The rigging really adds a lot of interest to the interior. I used gaspatch turnbuckles and EZ-line to do this. 

2RqHK1w.jpg

Here is the other side with all but the rear bay rigged. I needed a pause as the rigging I put there popped on me when I went to secure the lower end and the air around the bench turned purple for a moment.... :innocent:

DNokyvM.jpg

here is the same assembly dry fitted into the fuselage

UMGrr0p.jpg?1

And I have also been doing some work on the Bentley. 

fHyurqr.jpg

Zach