ZM Heinkel He 219 Uhu:5/26/17: BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ernie

But the Roland has proven to be a mojo saver  and she is teaching me the ropes and skills for WNW kits. Besides my cozy stash of WNW kits, the Felixstowe has moved in: OMG I could almost live in it. :whistle:

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Chris ... food for thought for sure. I've been using the WNW Roland to replenish the juices and mojo as the Owl tends to beat me down a bit. I'm starting to make some nice progress on both and by the weekend might have enough done on the Roland to even post a few photos.

Figure .. I really need to improve my painting abilities for sure in that department. And of course flash removal, a hobby unto itself

Peter

• 1 month later...
Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 5/26/17:  BACK WITH A VENGEANCE

Yup, the mojo is back, the juices running on high, the batteries fully charged and the erg to hit the bench is as strong as ever

First order of business was to check over the Owl and see where I actually left off: the pesky engine nacelles. Fit was just as I remembered – ugly at best. First order of business was to finish all the sanding, cleaning up any and all fit issues. Then the gaps were filled with what seemed like a gallon of CCA – windows open and the paint booth fan was on. I let the CCA dry for a good week insuring maximum strength, knowing it would be a bear to sand out but I was more concerned with the strength rather then ease of sanding. Finally all the CCA was sanded out and smooth to the touch. Next up, go over all the seams and CCA with Bondo, insuring any and all small gaps that were missed and depressions in the CCA were taken care of. Once the Bondo had dried for a good 48 hours, I went to work wet sanding the nacelles with 320, 400, 600, 1500 and 2000 grits – the nacelles may not look the greatest but they are perfectly smooth and ready for primer.

Test fitting the wing panels and expecting the worst, I was surprised that the fit wasn't all that bad. I wasn't planning on dropping the flaps but the details in the rear of the wings for the flaps looked pretty good, so the flaps will be dropped.

Planning on also having the access panels open for the machine guns and ammo trays, it was time to build all the components and then the tedious job of and painting each of the four ammo assemblies. The MG's were built, painted and install, finished off with AK Metallic's Gun Metal. The plan is to use the kit access panels for masking during painting and then to switch over to the ZM AM PE Exterior set for the final access panels. Just a shame so little can be seen.

I've only glued the right side inner wing panels in place and discovered I need a much slower setting glue then Extra Thin for this task, so tomorrow it's off to the store for some tube glue and Testor's Liquid cement.

The Owl keeps steadily growing and photographing her is now going to require a much larger set up for sure. The wings still need to be squared away and some work will be needed to have them sit absolutely square in the fuselage but that will be the first priority after the wing panels are done.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled-5_zpsuobhme2q.jpg

untitled-4_zpssd6hknbi.jpg

untitled-2_zpsq9e6t7i6.jpg

untitled-6_zpsrkijcctw.jpg

untitled-_zpsqgfwgsby.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ron

I'm back plugging away and am ready to stay the course now, Sure looks like we have shared the same frustration and I'm glad we both are back at the bench.

Peter

Bro,

WTG  :clap2:  Glad that the Owl is back on track. I'll have to admit that you've beaten it into submission as she looks incredible on the JH stand.  I'd hate to see you close up the hatch covers on all that top spine detail. Are you going to keep some of them open? 

Joel

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Anthony

Feels good to be doing battle again at the bench and progress is going to be the name of the game :fight:

Peter