Playing around with new techniques...

LSP_Ray

The original edition of TA1 sold out almost immediately and that's probably why that Amazon seller has a ridiculous price. Rinaldi later revised and added a bit more content then reissued it a couple of times.

They're great books. Some typos - I'd have offered to edit them for a free final copy :) - but full of great pictures and techniques. I used them extensively on my Tamiya Sherman I posted here a couple days ago. To the OP, my eye definitely prefers the "after" series. The others are great in their own right and would serve well to depict a relatively new vehicle. But, I personally prefer the tonal variation and visual interest of a more weathered armor model. That said, I really don't care for a lot of Wilder's work. It looks too dirty to me, but it's all a matter of preference and the guy is, without a doubt, one of the best in the world.

Adam Wilder is a little extreme, but his models representing bare metal plate are incredible!

I also like the work of Mark Ford of North Peninsula Modelers in Washington State. His style is more restrained, but very good; especially his German AFV's, but here is an Allied one:

b_10635_7.jpg

If the pic link isn't working, here is Mark Ford's Sherman Gallery.