Large Scale Tanks

Guest LSP_Jay L

Guest LSP_Jay L

Y'know something guys, I used to post on the Armour sites ( wont mention any names ) and I got so fed up because they were such uptight, pedantic wankers. When I post a thread like this here and I see all of the positive and light hearted responses it makes me realise that this is a great place to share modelling with other like minded mental cases... :lol:

Also makes me realise how many closet armour modellers there are here, and I wonder if it is time to take over LSP :lol: :) Muahahahaha.....

Like the SU Erwin. Interesting choice of Diorame setting and I have to say I would never have thought of something like that. Very original and out of the ordinary.

Cheers guys,

Jay

Guest LSP_Jay L

More progress tonight, as I was modelling like a madman! A few Beers and some pints and some nice quiet time in the loft after putting the kiddies to bed. As my mate Andreas in Salzburg used to say "Theeees iz the good life"

Yesterday i srayed up the go round the wheels thingies ( translation for you non armour guys ;) ) with some Alclad steel then shaded them with some Xtracolor gunmetal.

post-8-1129935622.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Next is another wash with Indian red to make things look ever so slightly rusty-heimer.

Not too much or you'll spoil the broth.

post-8-1129935824.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Then comes the mud. Easy to do and I know some guys use some very odd concoctions to do this, but I feel the best is still mud. Out of the garden, available in endless quantities, mud. Mixed with PVA ( Elmers for my Canuckie bretheren! ) and some Windsor and Newtons to taste.

post-8-1129936104.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

And here is where it sits atthe end of tonights session. All glossed up, washed and looking really...well..glossy ;) I hate my models at this point.

Cheers guys,

Jay

post-8-1129936236.jpg

That is sweet! I like your shading technique... learned something there. I do an occasional armor model, but nothing to that level. This is a work in progress. I still need to work on the base a bit. I too have a 3 in 1 DML Initial production Tiger in my pile.... looks like the Tigers should come out and play?

panther1.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Thanks Ole! Very nice Panther as well. Italeri kit? Great little scene.

I've almost completed the KV now, and spent tonight working on the powders. There are a couple of points that will need work, as my lighting on my painting workbench needs improvement and I have grown accustomed to using the photographs as an inspection tool.

post-8-1130015490.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Chris mate, that Tiger will take a bit more than a week to build :D This KV is a really sweet kit and is very simple yet well detailed. Hence the quick build time.

Here is a look at the range of powders that went into this kit, and while it may seem like alot, they all contribute to the overall look.

Cheers guys,

Jay

post-8-1130015697.jpg

Just plain awesome... very realistic paint and shading. Are you going to put it on a base or just leave it as is?

Mine is a Tamiya kit with Eduard Zimmerit on a Verlinden resin base.

P.S. Can we get something done about the size of the files here? I would be happy with a file allowing 750 pixels wide as that is more than enough to post good pics, and it is a small enough size that those not on Broadband will not have to wait. It is so frustrating having to resize, find out it is too big, then resize again. I started with 575 ( which is usually OK ) but the size was too large. It took four attempts to get it on. 3 more than with my wife.

Jay,

Check your proporties on the file before you attempt to upload, and look for size in "kb," not just physical width and height.

I've just upped the file size to 100kb and that should help a bit.

Thanks~

ps: KV is looking nice! Tell the color witches to bugger off! Its a freaking hobby!

Jay L.

Thanks for the armor break! Excellent work.

I did a lot of armor and figures in my youth (long gone...). Part of the attraction was the chance to really grime things up and show battered, war-weary stuff. Rivet-counters and shade-graders can GTH, as far as I'm concerned. Especially with armor.

I might have to think about getting one of the HUGE Trumpeter tanks, now that you've got me thinking about armour again.

Ole--nice panther

Erwin--your talent covers earth AND sky...

"LSP/LST" ?

Matty