TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Tamiya P-51D MUSTANG

Col. C.E. “Bud†Anderson

Old Crow

P-51D-10-NA

Needing to renew the juices and deciding to put the Skyraider on hold until until I feel the desire to pick up the build again, I decided I wanted to literally get back in the 32nds scale saddle again and build another Tamiya Mustang. Needing a relaxing and enjoyable build, the Mustang fit the bill absolutely perfectly. The project will be basically OOB,  with some enhancing by including Barracuda resin upgrade parts, some Eduard PE sets,  Brassin Wheel Set, HGW seatbelts and 'Dingy' cushion and decals from EagleCal. I still had a nice collection of Eduard PE sets left over from Big Beautiful Doll and I'm sure a lot of them will find a home on Old Crow.

Weathering will be 'Used but not Abused' and on the light side, whil . Alclad will be my weapon of choice for the NMF. Right now the jury is still out on the wing issue and I'll need to make a decision a bit down the road.

The Big Merlin was built straight from the box and fell together light a dream. Base color; Tamiya semi gloss black with various metal shades used to highlight some of the mechanics. The firewall and coolant tank are Model Master enamel green zinc chromate, while the piping is Alclad dark aluminum. An oil pinwash helped bring out the coolant tank details and provided all the weathering needed except for a quick dry brushing with Apple Barrel Dove Gray.

Old Crow being a P-51D-1-NA dictates following the 'B' version in the instructions.

Sure feels like visiting an old friend again and the fun is back

Thanks for checking in

The starting purchase:

PCW_4290_zps5772ce73.jpg

PCW_4292_zps0e3cf5f7.jpg

PCW_4291_zps17c331c3.jpg

The Coolant Tank

PCW_4294_zps08539914.jpg

PCW_4295_zps2a1c3622.jpg

PCW_4293_zpsc219aca5.jpg

The Big Merlin

PCW_4296_zps155a48d5.jpg

PCW_4297_zps7e4684fc.jpg

PCW_4299_zps30b02724.jpg

PCW_4298_zps439b3f1c.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Nice start Peter.

I could n't agree more with your plan. When I needed a pick-me-up project in the past I built one of these and I had a barrel full of fun. It looks as though you'll double your pleasure by adding all of the aftermarket bits too. Super idea.

Keep us all up to speed on progress but don't sweat the small stuff. Build for yourself and have a ball.

Cheers,

Good start.......

Had to take a look on your progress after your post on my P51D/K

dirty weatered bird i see, and love the dirt :wub: as you already know.

Im for shure gonna peek several times on your progress on this birdie ;) (im in for the P51K in my build Mrs. Bonnie)

So keep em coming :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

/Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford

Guest Nigelr32

Nice one Peter,

I see you're off to a great start on that little friend. Come on, get me all enthused to get my Mustang out again!!

Guest Peterpools

geedubelyer

First time in months, I couldn't wait to hit the model room and keep building.  Right with you about not sweating the small stuff

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Guest Peterpools

Frank

I'm quickly finding out how contagious they really are. Sure looks like #3 and # 4 will be joining the stash sooner then later

Guest Peterpools

Mal

Thanks for checking in. I followed you Buffalo build start to finish and will be aklso be following your Korean Mustang all the way.