WW2 modellers - HGW seatbelts

RLWP

And you guys complain about rigging WW1 planes! I spent the best part of an evening going cross eyed threading tiny bits of fabric(!) through minuscule bits of etch

Must be mad*

Richard

*the lot of us!

I  have used them and they are beautiful when done but rediculous to build.  Take a look the fine mold  seat belts it will save your sanity

https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Molds-NH4-aviation-opportunities/dp/B007UM7J4Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1519931846&sr=1-2&keywords=fine+mold+seat+belts++1%2F32

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/german-aircraft-seatbelt-set

Edited by dashotgun

Where possible, I leave the buckles attached to the frets and thread the belts through them first. Then when I detach the buckles, they don't go flying off into the ether.

This works as long as the attachment points aren't in the way of the belts.

Carl

I did that, and cut a slight taper on the fabric too

It can still make rigging look easy  :blink:

Where possible, I leave the buckles attached to the frets and thread the belts through them first. Then when I detach the buckles, they don't go flying off into the ether.

This works as long as the attachment points aren't in the way of the belts.

Carl

Dude, you are a freaking genius!  :doh: I literally spend 15 minutes looking for a buckle last Sunday, i cant believe i never thought of that. 

Here are the $4 belts I make. I bought a bunch of old (techmod) PE buckles from a local HS for $3 each, then I slice an edge off a dollar bill to fit. 

R6h5Yjy.jpg

OIjosvG.jpg

I  have used them and they are beautiful when done but rediculous to build.  Take a look the fine mold  seat belts it will save your sanity

https://www.amazon.com/Fine-Molds-NH4-aviation-opportunities/dp/B007UM7J4Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1519931846&sr=1-2&keywords=fine+mold+seat+belts++1%2F32

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/german-aircraft-seatbelt-set

I have difficulty shaping these belts. too brittle .Am I doing something wrong? Seat belts break at the adjustment hardware point... Any help appreciated,

Dick

Guest Clunkmeister

I have difficulty shaping these belts. too brittle .Am I doing something wrong? Seat belts break at the adjustment hardware point... Any help appreciated,

Dick

Heat them a bit first. They mold nicely then.

But I still prefer, and live by, HGW belts. An awesome product IMHO.

I've tried pretty much all the options.

HGW fabric

RB's

Fine Molds Plastic

Eduard PE

Eduard steel.

Barracuda moulded on

The plastic and steel ones are the easiest to use as all the fiddly threading (and painting) is pre done for you.

...but the HGW and RB ones look the most realistic.

In fairness, the ones that I have done that look the best are the BarracudaCast Bf109G pre-moulded ones as I was able to paint them nicely!

My favourite are the RB ones, too. But the HGW are not too bad.

I dont think they are especially difficult to assemble. You just need some good tweezers and calm you down before starting.

Building them inside a box may be a good idea if you drop a micro-tiny PE buckle.

I prefer much more paper or fabric belts than PE belts.

I dont think they are especially difficult to assemble. You just need some good tweezers and calm you down before starting.

Let's turn this around then

If you can assemble HGW fabric belts, you can rig a biplane. Only one of the parts in rigging is much bigger and easy to handle

Richard