Sopwith Triplane F4 - France 1917 - one more Wingnut Wings kit

campingbaer66

Hello ,

two weeks ago I have started the next Wingnut kit , as promissed it is the Sopwith Triplane , a kit that is sold out since 2012.

I had luck to get one last year in an auction , but the price was sky high , don't ask me  :piliot: .

But luckily our hobbies don't need to be economicaly correct , so I don't care to much , if I want it I get it somehow.

The good thing on the Tripe is that is is an relatively easy to build plane , not too much parts and not much rigging.

A fun project , so let's get it on.

The obligatory box picture.

B%20Andere_zpsrdx4uqxz.jpg

The version I want to build is the only french one , an easy decision because all the other ( english ) version are in very boring overall PC12 , while the french is in PC10 with wooden cockpit cover and aluminium engine cowling. Much more appealing to me.

A%20Andere_zpsp9tn8ibz.jpg

Like usual things started with the cockpit , which is classic wood and linen with some metal fittings. Easy construction and as usual very well engineered by WnW.

Only a slight aging with filters and some of the control wires already added.

The seatbelt are again from HGW , which I find is a major improvement over the kit parts. Easy to assable and much more realistic appearance.

2%20Andere_zpscx653dep.jpg

1%20Andere_zpsmrufsw8b.jpg

With the instrument panel added , the instruments themselfs got a glazing with a drop of future.

3%20Andere_zpsw7qjmv69.jpg

The inner side of the fusalage showing the wooden framing and linen covering. Engine cowling inside painted in aluminium. Also here only a slight aging.

4%20Andere_zpsjgstol90.jpg

Cockpit only put loose inside the fusalage , some small parts of the cockpit still nedds to be added.

5%20Andere_zpsenoovogw.jpg

The outside of the fusalage was prepainted before assably for easier painting. The PC10 is a blend of Gunze RLM81 and Gunze Hemp in a 3:1 ratio.

Engine cowling was painted with Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium + Gunze Metal Silver for giving it the appearance of tool treated metal surface.

6%20Andere_zps4trpltl4.jpg

I hope I got it well , it is better to see on the front cowling.

7%20Andere_zpsdixmxoo6.jpg

That's it for today , will be continued soon.

I hope you like it , any comments if positive or negative and proposals for improvement are always welcome.

Peter

Hi sluggo ,

The cowl was first airbrushed with Tamiya XF-16 aluminium. Then I took a fine brush ( 0/10 ) and brush painted fine streaks in a cross patern with Gunze Mr.Color H211 Chrome Silver on it to simulate a treated metal surface.

Very similar to the instruction from the WnW webside on how to paint a Fokker E cowling.

Final coating with Tamiya X-22 clear gloss.

Hope this helps you.

Peter

Edited by campingbaer66

Hi sluggo ,

The cowl was first airbrushed with Tamiya XF-16 aluminium. Then I took a fine brush ( 0/10 ) and brush painted fine streaks in a cross patern with Gunze Mr.Color H211 Chrome Silver on it to simulate a treated metal surface.

Very similar to the instruction from the WnW webside on how to paint a Fokker E cowling.

Final coating with Tamiya X-22 clear gloss.

Hope this helps you.

Peter

Peter,

I checked out the tip on wingnut wings, I like your interpretation better. Splendid job!

Randy

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ,

it was a quite time for me regarding modelling the last weeks , but I think it's now the time to show what I did in the few hours that I spent at my desk. 

The cockpit is now finished and all internal wiring done.

9%20Andere_zpsmsyr0rsw.jpg

8%20Andere_zpsoyxct6ev.jpg

It's always a pity to hide most of the internal details within the fuselage but there will be enough to see through the cockpit opening.

Decals are on and a light aging already done with AK washes.

12%20Andere_zps12iewwas.jpg

10%20Andere_zpsg3orc29h.jpg

Next was adding the lower wings and the rudders as well as some external wirings.

The armament , a single Vickers MG , was mounted.

The engine cowlings shows a great contrast with the PC 10 fuselage , which makes the whole aircraft more attractive  in my opinion.

14%20Andere_zpsausl9bfj.jpg

13%20Andere_zpsqkscelqj.jpg

15%20Andere_zpszmszcf7e.jpg

Next was the engine , a 130 ps Clerget 9 cylinder rotating engine. An easy to build engine that looks not bad I think. Wiring will be added.

17%20Andere_zpsoqq5jwoo.jpg

Together with the finished propeller.

16%20Andere_zpsgmz5r1s8.jpg

Landing gear is waiting to get mounted , so we are now on the finish line.

Final pictures will follow soon.

18%20Andere_zps9jtdpd5d.jpg

Peter

You suck! And if you think I'm only saying that because I'm jealous, you're absolutely right.

I think you are jealous Kev :innocent:

Peter, no matter what you paid for it, it is sure worth the money if i look at your progress :goodjob:

Also i like your choise of color scheme, nicely done, congrats.

Greetz

Danny

• 1 year later...

Peter,

Very nice work! I noticed in your final display post you express some sadness that the kit is sold out. Well, in case you didn't know, WNW is re-releasing it as one of their special's with a figure of Raymond Collishaw and his markings! We should be seeing them soon and I hope to pick up another one myself!

Michael