Manuel strikes again....help needed with my 109 G

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_canuck63_*

Guest_canuck63_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:36 PM

G'day,
I've just very successful fitted the beautiful MDC Bf 109 G cockpit set to my 109 and now I'd like to ask my new friends"in the know" which parts, if any, are made of woods or bakelite in order to weather the cockpit accordingly.Would a dark shade of "Panzergrau" fill the bill as a base coat?
As usual, any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated!
I know that I may sound as leeching on other modelers' experience but I'd be more than willing to return the favor should someone of them have some problems with the rolling piles of junk I build as a military modeler B) !
Hope to hear
Manny

#2 ChrisS

ChrisS

Former Commander-in-Chief

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,387 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:54 PM

RLM specs indicated that all 109Gs were painted with RLM 66 inside the cockpit. There is always some artistic license one can (and MUST) take with colors, and your resources may show something different.

The only component I know of that was wood in the interior of the Bf109 was the instrument panel, which was birch plywood. But that was painted RLM 66 as well.

Some other 109 "experten" will no doubt hop in here to help you out.

Cheers~

Chris

Chris Sherland

===============================
On the Bench: Revell P-38

#3 Guest_canuck63_*

Guest_canuck63_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2004 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for answering Chris,
I knew that the dashboard was made of plywood but that was it B) !
RLM 66 is a very dark gray and I've read more than once that the common Panzergrau would have done the trick as a base coat prior to weathering...any suggestions?
I reckon that the cockpit of the 109 G-6 displayed at the Smithsonian Museum is in pristine,original condition,am I wrong?
I'm as serious as I can be with my modelling and your help is proving unvaluable here!Moreover....a web site on large scale planes is a real"Mecca"for a modeler obsessed with superdetailing....thank you for being here guys and thanks a lot for helping me out!
Manny

#4 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:31 PM

Hi Manny, here's a pretty good representation of what
a G panel should look like.
M
M
...have fun