161 replies to this topic

#151 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

Have been busy with the Oxygen gauge panel, and the armament switch panel, both of which are pretty specific to the -30 (the previous models got something different, and the ones after got something different still).  But what I was really busy with was the pneumatic lines in back of the instrument panel.  I actually got this to work to my satisfaction (forward armor plate is removed so this work could be done):

Pie2GRTl.jpg

hqJHaMal.jpg

Keep in mind this stuff will be visible when the assembly is installed into the fuselage - at least enough so that some of it needs to be there.  You'll see soon enough.

Here is a bunch of stuff that is about ready to be installed:

sG5Jzo8l.jpg

This is a big deal.  Note the instrument panel and its support structure have been freed of the jig they were attached to.  Don't need it anymore; it worked great. The IP now has the oxygen panel (three gauges) above the RH rudder pedal.  The armament switch panel is lying by itself (with the red switch covers), and will mount between the rudder pedals.  The forward floor is now ready to go, with its heater tube.  It will take a determined inspector to find it once installed, being situated in front of the rudder pedals.  When this stuff is installed, I have to fiddle with the left hand rudder cable that runs from the pedal past the main circuit panel, to a pulley wheel on the aft floor, underneath the bomb release bracket to the left of the seat, through a hole in the side wall panel, and finally through a hole in the aft bulkhead.  I will make sure to take a pic of this detail next post when all this stuff will be installed.     

Edited by JayW, 10 February 2018 - 11:05 PM.

• TwoHands, LSP_Kevin, harvey and 6 others like this

#152 Gazzas

Gazzas

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

Wow, all that plumbing looks great!

Gaz

• JayW likes this

​We don't have social skills.  We build models.

#153 Troy Molitor

Troy Molitor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Exactly what Gaz says. This one keeps getting better and better. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Troy
  • JayW likes this

#154 A-10LOADER

A-10LOADER

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

Blown away by all this, simply AMAZING !! You sir, are a true craftsman.

Steve

• JayW likes this

OPERATION "DELIBERATE GUARD", "SOUTHERN WATCH", "ENDURING FREEDOM" AND, "IRAQI FREEDOM" VETERAN.

#155 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

Well I have just closed out alot of stuff!  Big milestone - the cockpit floor and instrument panel are final installed.  Take a look (BTW - cockpits are really hard to show well in pics):

bROGvSEl.jpg

NSq66pgl.jpg

tbzYTdHl.jpg

U33ItLIl.jpg

iIev5tsl.jpg

First let me show you the coolest part - the rudder cable.  This picture of a real live P-47 shows a rudder cable running diagonally in front of the main circuit panel:

9nXrTvFl.jpg

Now here is my 1/18 replica (half of fuselage removed so as to see better):

s3A1cTRl.jpg

That is 10 lb test fishing line spray-painted silver.  Some of the other pictures show the pulley wheel on the floor that it routes through.

Other items to note - look for the clap trap behind the instrument panel including the support brackets,the pneumatic lines, wiring, and the can portions of the instruments themselves.  It's a bit of a mess, but I think that is how it was.  And that is why I took the trouble.  Also some small springs, and hydraulic or fuel lines on the floor.  All that the cockpit lacks is the engine choke panel just to the right of the IP, and a cable for the tail wheel lock lever to the right of the seat.  Some things, like the other rudder cable, must wait until the fuselage halves are glued together.  OH!  And of course the Mk VIII gun sight.  Here is the lathe turned part, resplendent in its brass sheen:

JvRP4vHl.jpg

Next post I will show it completed and installed along with the choke panel.  Then the IP area will look alot more complete.

Although I want to button up the fuselage, which can only happen after a good bit of work on some of the other fuselage items, I think I am going to go to the main landing gear for a while.  Stay tuned, that is going to be quite a project.

BTW - those of you who are wondering what that silver bar is just aft of the windshield, that is the windshield defroster pipe.  :)

Edited by JayW, 12 February 2018 - 11:50 AM.

• TwoHands, harvey, Shawn M and 4 others like this

#156 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,822 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:07 AM

:o .....Harv :popcorn:

• JayW likes this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#157 Shawn M

Shawn M

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

that pit is a masterpiece!

• JayW likes this

I dont suffer from AMS, I revell in it..get it...Revell

#158 imatt88

imatt88

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

Holy crap, looks real...
  • JayW likes this

bth_470_maiden0.jpg

Only THE greatest rock band in the world

#159 Thunnus

Thunnus

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

Incredible work!

• JayW likes this

John

-----<><

#160 Trak-Tor

Trak-Tor

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

Really great stuff! 

• JayW likes this

#161 KiwiZac

KiwiZac

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

That is stunning, how have I missed this thread?!

• JayW likes this

Cheers, Zac in NZ

#162 JayW

JayW

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:58 AM

I declare a milestone!  The cockpit is complete.  And not a moment too soon - I was getting really tired of it after months and months hammering away at it.  The latest additions are the canted engine choke panel and the gun sight.  The engine choke panel also has a silver pull handle for the cowl flaps, and has an additional panel for ID light switches.  Here (in front of the oxygen unit):

ziNBG5pl.jpg

With the instrument panel:

RYBgsRSl.jpg

And what has been glaringly missing the whole time is the gun sight.  Not anymore - here it is:

Ui646zml.jpg

jorI7V3l.jpg

Needless to say I have lots of work to do on the windshield to get it worthy of the cockpit.  That comes later.  I will only revisit the cockpit when the fuselage halves go together.  At that time I can hook up the oxygen lines and the RH rudder cable (both will be really tough to do).

Next is a really exciting and challenging project - main gear tires (with diamond tread) and wheels including brake drums.  A lot of lathe turning.  Stay tuned! 

Edited by JayW, 18 February 2018 - 06:01 AM.

• LSP_Kevin likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P-47, Thunderbolt, 1/18

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users