Tamiya P-51D, Sinai, 1956, with Reposted Images

dodgem37

Thank you, Craig.

Thank you, KiwiZac.  A lot has gone into this one.  More than I ever would have imagined when I started.  The publication I mentioned in an earlier post has been real helpful.  I like to know how things work.

Thank you, Shaka.  This has been going on a long time.  I'm glad to finally see the end is near.

Thank you, Gazza.

Still plugging away.  Not complete.

DSCN6321_zpshvzva7op.jpg

I see some painting is in order.  Something I knew would happen when I removed the engine compartment, a nasty gap at the wing root.  That will take some time to remedy.

DSCN6322_zpsyszbzidh.jpg

For the life of me could not get the firewall to set into the front fuselage.  Needs shimming badly.  Used silver decals to represent fasteners on rubber hoses.

DSCN6323_zpsk13klnn8.jpg

Fuselage to front not as bad this side.  Luckily.

DSCN6324_zpsgw1c5xo2.jpg

There's the linkage.

DSCN6326_zpspofxtfe9.jpg

Overall effect.  Got the blades into the hub, mocked up for effect.

Thank you for looking, liking, supportive comments, and continued interest.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Shaka.

Thank you, Barry.

Have been making microscopic progress.

DSCN6335_zpsbyqnqcgx.jpg

The kit comes with a fillet-less tail so I used clay to dam off the circular rivets, molded, then cast them.

DSCN6336_zps1bpzrznf.jpg

I was able to get the framing seated properly, but that gap still remained.  So I filled the gap with .005 sheet, gluing it on the front side only, as I needed a rear panel line, sanded the dickens out of the wing/fuselage fairing gap, especially with the cotton bud sanding stick I made, and replaced the sanded off fasteners with those I cast.  I sanded them down to translucency on 2000 grit sand paper, stuck them onto upside down tape and removed any overage with a new blade.  I used a Radu Brinson RB Productions Nano Saw to finish the panel line between the wing and engine fairing.  The blades are panel line thin.  

DSCN6337_zpsumzvkycr.jpg

Other side.  There was a lip between the fuselage/wing fairing and the engine fairing, so I filled the area with melted sprue then sanded to match.   I haven't finished it off as of yet.  Pencil marks for new fastener location.  There is no panel line between top and bottom engine/wing/fuselage fairing.  Shimmed, filled, and sanded the firewall to fuselage gap, giving it a bad coat of paint which I will deal with later.  I may need more fasteners.  I'll take a look at that.

This has been a delicate exercise.  In retrospect I never should have finished the fuselage before tying in the engine compartment.  Every time I pick up the model to work on it there is a chance of something breaking.

Thank you for looking, liking, and commenting.

Sincerely,

Mark

Guest Peterpools

Brother Bear

Simply blown away - I remember the day you started you Mustang and never could I have dreamed the level of work and detail would have reached this height. From a guy firmly on the other side of the weathering fence, I am simply amazed at the realist weathering and finish - which compliments the extraordinary detailing.Magnificent ...

Keep 'em coming

Brother Bear

Edited by Peterpools

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I pick up the model to work on it there is a chance of something breaking.

I hear ya Mark. The Spitfire got that way too towards the end. The more you put on, the harder it is to add more detail, and the more fragile the whole thing becomes. The end result is going to be incredible though so keep at it! You're almost there eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

I really want this one, Shaka.  I've put so much into it.  There is nothing now that I won't let go.  Even those gaps.

Thank you, Kevin.

Thank you, Jim.  I'm not far from the finish line, but neither is it close.  There isn't a lot of bulk work to do but plenty of corrective detailing.

Brother Bear!  Thank you!  Your memory is better than mine.  I don't remember when I started, I just remember this has taken FOREVER!  Well, a really long time anyway.  I never dreamed that it would turn out as it has, either.  As a matter of fact, I had absolutely no idea how it would turn out.  I didn't know what I was going to do until I did it.  If it worked, I was lucky.  If it didn't, then I had to do something to correct the problem.  I've been doing a lot of corrections.  This has a difficult finish, and is difficult to finish.

Thank you, Rotodr1ver.  You give me high praise.  Thank you.  I'm looking forward to finishing this one also.  Masterclass . .  Thank you.  KLP Publishing?  That certainly is a compliment, Thank you.  But that is not for me to decide.  Personally, I don't think it matches up to what already has been published.

Thank you, Wolf.  I know you know.  A delicate Beauty, that Spitfire.  Thank you for the compliment.  Right now I'm taking a break.  I put some paint on the fasteners but they were not a size match so I removed them, sanded the area, broke out my other Tamiya Mustang and molded/cast new fasteners from that, used Future as an adhesive instead of CA, cleaning the residue with a damp cotton bud.  Works great.  It has a coat of paint but there are some scratches I need to deal with so I just put it away until after the Holidays.  All of that micro casting, sanding, alignment, and application was intense.  So, I am almost there, but it will take some time.

Thank you everyone.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 5 weeks later...

Slowly moving forward.

DSCN6339_zps4m2r9and.jpg

I was able to tie-in the engine fairing.  Molded and cast new fasteners from a second Mustang fuselage.  Painted, sanded, gloss coated, Raw Sienna wash.  No flat coat yet.

DSCN6340_zpszzvfox2k.jpg

Other side.  Decided to make this a replacement panel.  Punched a .020 clear disc, painted the back aluminum then adhered it into the gun sight opening with a spot of future.  That would be the gun CAMERA opening.  Apologies.

DSCN6341_zpsirebeywf.jpg

Oil tank placed for show.  Have some painting still to do here.

DSCN6342_zps2brqg3ua.jpg

Other side.  Broke off a couple of fasteners.  One for the top cowling, other for the oil tank.  Will make the necessary field repairs.  Over to the left top side of the firewall/fuselage tie in you may notice a strip of unfinished green.  Along the firewall/fuselage seam there was a depression.  I painted over it with future to fill the seam.  I'll just wash it with some Raw Sienna.

Thank you for looking and liking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37